A Birthday to Celebrate

Start from the beginning

After a while later the other members of the family joined in. Archer's grandma, his elder brother and his mate with their toddler and Archer's elder sister. They all wished Callan on his birthday. It had only been two years but the Kemps were already fond of the boy. Lillian, the elder sister of Archer was nervous and fidgeting.

"Are you all right my child?" Myla asked her daughter with concern.

"Y-yes mother." She could not help but look at Callan every chance she got. When Callan returned her gaze she blushed red, bowing down looking at her lap. Callan looked sideways to his friend and raised an eyebrow as if to ask what was happening. Archer just shrugged and pursed his smile. Callan knew that Archer was teasing him and made a point to broach the subject later.

"What are you your plans for your birthday celebration?" Lancelot asked striking a conversation.

"This day is never about me. It's about the future Alpha of the pack. We have a feast in his honor and we all cherish the fact what a great Alpha he is going to be. The man born with a silver spoon." Callan was nonchalant and sarcastic in his tone.

"That's too bad. Surely your parents must have had celebration plans for you. After all you are their only child." Myla sympathized with the boy.

"My father is the head of the security while my mother is assisting our Luna all day. Since it is a big day, both of them are busy and don't have much time even for each other. So even if they want to be with me they really can't. They always come late that day; usually I get to see them the next morning. Most of the times I have celebrated my birthday the day before or the day after, but it's not the same. I feel like the essence of one being special is missing. To be honest this is the first time when I have celebrated my birthday on the exact day." Callan could see pity and compassion in every face on the table.

"Don't worry Callan, you are always welcome to celebrate your birthday with us."

"Alphonse is right we could celebrate according to your likes and wishes from next year onwards. You could bring your friends if you want." Callan appreciated the gesture by the elder brother and his mate.

"Oh you poor thing! I did not realize when I asked Archer to invite you today. You must be feeling terrible to share your special day with someone else even today." Myla was regretful that Callan had to share his birthday with her son. She thought that Callan needs to be treated special, like the day was meant for him.

"On the contrary, this has been the best birthday of my life! I can't express in words how happy I am today. And no, I don't have any problem to share this day with my best friend. At least I get acknowledged here unlike my pack." Callan's eyes had been glossy at this time.

"What do you mean?" Lancelot was perplexed.

"What he means father is that very few people in his pack remember that its Callan's birthday as well. It is strange, but only Callan and the Alpha's son share the same birth date in the entire pack. Which means that only these two should have a special occasion to celebrate. Yet they neither acknowledge him nor do they appreciate it, they simply ignore him. It's always his parents and a few elders of the pack who bless him. Rest of them surround the Alpha's son and try to please him as if he was the king." Archer was furious on how the blue moon pack treated his friend. He had advised Callan countless times to stay with him in his cave, but the boy loved his parents too much and knew that he can't escape his responsibilities. Callan weakly smiled and patted the back of the palm of Archer to assure that he was alright and that Archer should calm down.

****

After the feast the family presented gifts to the birthday boys. Archer presented a new Axe made from the strongest wood in the forest while Callan gave a pot of freshly harvested honey to Archer. Honey was difficult to get in this season but Callan managed to arrange some from his human friends just to see the delight and excitement in his best friend's eyes. Archer was ecstatic when he sniffed the honey and straightaway attacked the pot. Lillian presented Callan with freshly baked muffins which she made herself. She seductively touched Callan's hand while gifting him the muffins. She giggled and moved strands of her hair to the back of her ear. Callan was uncomfortable with this gesture; he nervously pulled himself back and sat besides his best friend.