Chapter Ten: Mother

Mia's POV

I hit Brady's chest hard and wait for him to let me go.

"Let go of me!" I screech angrily.

I push him and back away in fear. Brady frowns deeply and his eyes furrow with sadness. I let out a shaky breath and point my finger at him with such force.

"G-get away from me. I don't know where the hell I am and I demand to know where you are taking me. Why is my uncle trying to kill you? Why did you run away and take me with you?" I ramble on.

Brady runs a hand through his hair and looks around to see if we were alone in the creepy forest. I roll my eyes and stand my ground as I waited for him to answer all of my questions.

He takes a seat on the ground and just stares at me with a small hum and smile. I stare at him angrily and fold my arms in a childish way.

"What?" I ask through gritted teeth.

He shrugs his shoulders and rests his back against a tree trunk with a smirk. I see his golden eye give me a quick wink and I could feel the blood rush up to my cheeks quickly.

"Nothing, you are just the most beautiful woman I have ever seen,"

My heart melted into a puddle while I slowly covered my face with embarrassment.

"Brady, I am being serious."

"So am I!" He chuckles.

I walk up to him then take a seat a few inches in front of him while crossing my legs. He licked his lip then leaned in a little closer.

"Your uncle despises me because of our rough past. I ran away because he is trying to kill me and I took you with me because you are my mate, obviously I couldn't leave without you. I like you too much."

I blushed once again at his last comment and clear my throat to get rid of the dry feeling.

"Why do you like me?"

"You are my mate, Mia,"

A mate, that's what I was. I still didn't understand the concept of what it was but it seemed to be really important to all these wolves who lived in this dark forest.

"What...is a mate?"

Brady smiles big when I ask him then he rests his head on his hand as he just stares at me with adoration. It was so hard not to smile back, so I raise the corners of my lips slightly.

"Well, a mate is someone you are supposed to be destined with. The moon goddess chooses two people and pairs them to spend the rest of their lives together."

"Moon Goddess? Ha, there is no such thing! I believe in God, and I sure as heck know he wouldn't 'pair' two people to be together," I argue,

"Well, maybe you don't know God then. He does things that we don't understand. Maybe he put us together." he whispers.

Brady's eyes flickered to behind me and they widen. He jumps on top of me so I am laying under him as his face gets really close to mine. I could feel his breath touch my lips and they tingled at the sensation.

"W-what is it?" I ask stuttering.

Brady looks around then helps me up with a goofy grin slapped on his face. He chuckles awkwardly with his eyes closed and points up to the tree his back used to be on.

"Squirrel."

I was left flustered at what just happened and stare up at the squirrel. I feel Brady grab a hold of my hand then stand up so we were both inches from each other.