53

The flames were hot. Too hot.

The faces kept blurring together through the flames. They started with my father, per usual, but what I wasn't ready for was to see Chris's mutilated figure again. My chest was tightening. I squeezed my eyes shut. I knew what was next and I wasn't ready for it. When I opened my eyes I opened them to Eli's brown ones being licked by the wicked flame of the car he was in. I couldn't unsee the pleading in them as he waited patiently for me to run to him, but I couldn't. I couldn't move at all. I was bound by something.

I screamed. I cried for him, begging him to not go. I couldn't stand even the thought of him leaving me the way from father did, or suffering the way Chris did.

I woke in a panic.

I was sweating.

My face was stuck to something..

Oh no.

It was stuck to someone.

And that someone was shaking me softly.

"Rai baby," he whispered in my ear. "It's okay, I'm here. I'm here," he repeated. "I'm not going anywhere." He pulled me tighter to his chest. I release the piece of his shirt I was desperately gripping in my fist, and wrapped my body around him.

It was dark. I don't know how long I was asleep for, but it couldn't have been long. Jonny and my mom were still sleeping. They were used to my night terrors by now, only waking up when the screams made them worry the neighbors were going to call the police.

"Come here," he seemed to like the sleepy girl wrapping herself around him because he encouraged it. And Apparently I had no care in the world when I was half asleep because I wrapped my leg around him while my body was more on him than it was the couch. I could hear the mixture of worry and a smile in his voice. I knew me crying out his name in my sleep probably worried him, but I also knew he was happy to heat it was his name.

I snuggled into him more and fell right back to sleep. Didn't even acknowledge the fact that I probably just freaked out the boy i was cuddling.

"What time do you usually wake up?" His soft whisper caused me to stir as soon as Eli laid me in my own bed. I had vaguely remembered him carrying me up to my room. I hadnt slept as peacefully as I had with him in years, I'm sure.

"6," I mumbled as I rolled over onto my side. I heard him messing with something but I was too tired to care what he was doing. I trusted him.. and again, too tired to even care. I felt his soft breathe on my skin before he placed a kiss on my forehead. "Goodnight suga," I didn't know if i had dreamt it or if it was real, either way I fell into a blissful sleep because of that husky whisper.

My alarm went off at 6:30.

I'm going to be late. I rolled out of bed quickly. Last night may be a blur after my head his Eli's chest, but I do remember telling him 6!! Ugh. He was just like Jonny, funny they hate each other. All I want is for one boy, just one, to understand the need for timeliness and-

I cut my own rant off as I stared at the note next to my phone. In small scribbles the note said,

i know you said 6 but I'm bringing you breakfast so I figured you could sleep a little longer.. see you at 8

It was signed Eli Jones.. as if there would be another Eli..

My heart.

That's it. That's all. Just 'my heart'. You all know the ache in your chest I'm talking about. The good kind of ache when you realize the most handsome man not only carried you to bed, he plugged in your phone, set your alarm, tucked you in, AND IS BRINGING YOU BREAKFAST.