25

"YOU WENT RUNNING!?" he glanced around then redirected his daggers to me. "ALONE!? You stupid, stupid girl! You know they are watching you!!" he was yelling. Again, it may not have been 4:30 anymore, but it was still way to early for this. I looked around and waited for my neighbors to come running out with pitch forks and sticks to rid of the rowdy teenage boys. It was a small town and it wouldn't surprise me.

As he neared me, I became very aware of the way I must have looked. The lack of makeup, the sweat dripping off my skin, my messy hair I'd barely had time to pull into a bun, the hoodie, the leggings, even my running shoes. I was grateful I had at least formed a habit of matching my shirts with my shoes so my black and white Nike sweatshirt complimented my Nike shoes, but Eli didn't seem to appreciate my style. Actually, he didn't seem to notice it at all. His wild eyes were locked on mine as he stared at me.

I noticed he had dark circles under his eyes as if he hadn't slept at all. His hair was more tousled than usual, he was in dark clothes with a black leather jacket making his expression look even fiercer, and the small cut I had noticed before on his bottom lip now seemed to have formed a delayed violet bruise around it. Despite everything, I ached to hug him and comfort him.

But as he looked at me with fury in his eyes, I decided to do the opposite. I couldn't give into him after he treated me so poorly last night. I wouldn't let him think of me as one of his play toys. I didn't want that. I didn't want what those other girls wanted. I wasn't sure what I wanted, but I knew I didn't want to just be some sort of head game to him, someone just around for fun.

I let the laugh bubble out, just to watch his whole body react.

"I'm sorry," I used a light tone just to send him over the edge. "I didn't realize last night when you said you wanted nothing to do with me and I was completely on my own for this, you actually meant you might care about my safety and the fact that I only have a bounty on my head because of something you did," I pointed at him.

"I never said you were on your own!! I-"

"Stop yelling!" I yelled. I inwardly rolled my eyes at myself for contradicting my words. "I have neighbors who are trying to sleep," I whispered angrily.

"If you wouldn't make so many stupid decisions," he whispered back, matching my anger. "I wouldn't have to yell in the first place."

"Why do you care!? You literally told me you wanted me to have nothing to do with you or your family."

He stared at me. His strong jaw was set and I noticed the faint stubble showing through. How was it that he looked even more attractive when he was tired and messy? Any other guy would look like a hobo, but Eli Jones? He looked like a European male model who was being paid extra to wear a crumpled shirt under his leather jacket. It made me even more heated.

"You promised," he said finally. His voice was still somewhat angry, but there was something behind it now. Fear? No, I couldn't tell.

"Ha," I threw out sarcastically. "What a joke. You," I said pointedly. "Said you wanted to protect me. But then sent me off high and dry by myself!"

Just then the front door opened and we both turned to see Jonny with two waters, two apples, and some coconut chips in his hands. He looked from both of us with confusion, then the tantrum from this morning reeled back and I knew we were all in for it.

"Jonny," I tried to hide the worry in my tone. "It's fine, he's leaving."

"The hell I am," Eli turned back to me. "Did you not just hear anything I said!? Or see?"

"See what?" Jonny growled as he walked to me. He shoved everything he had in his hands into mine and turned to face Eli.

"See those guys following her!" Eli's jaw clenched as he looked at me over Jinny's shoulder.