50

In the past few years I had caught myself often wondering how I would die.

I occasionally hoped for something dramatic without the help of my father's murderers- per se, getting hit by a train after saving a bus full of kids, or getting eaten by a shark while saving the whales. Of course, I would escape the grim reaper that stole my father from me by being the hero of my own story, not a mysterious combustion that barely made it to the news like his story.

What I had never imagined though, was dying beside a beautiful brown eyed boy as he drove us blindfolded down a two lane back road. I did not see the people betting on him drag racing for keeps of me and ten thousand dollars or losing his freedom to one of the biggest auto thieves in Denver.

Apparently even I didn't have that kind of imagination.

But as the dust from his spinning tires flew up and my back hit the seat from the pressure of Eli taking off after I said go, I realized it was a real possibility.

I'm not going to lie.. I closed my eyes for half a second.

"Start talking," Eli always seemed to be growling when he spoke. Except when he was being sweet to me, but even then he always had the authoritative raspiness in his tone that reminded me of a lion. King of the jungle.

I pulled myself away from my thoughts of another reason why Eli was so dang attractive to me and opened my eyes.

"Uhm-uh.." What was I supposed to tell him!? We were on a dirt road going straight. It was dark, you could hardly see the wheat fields we were passing.

"Tell me what you see," he snapped at my hesitation.

"We are going straight, the first curve isn't for a while. Hunter is right next to us," I started.

"How much room do I have between my car and his?" He asked in the most incredibly calm voice.

"4- maybe 5 feet," i stammered. I watched him shift with ease and wondered if he had taken this road blindfolded before. No. There's no way he would do this just for fun.

"How far away is the first curve?" He asked. It wasn't really much of a curve, but a kink in this straight road rather.

"200 meters I'm guessing," I tried to base it off of what I had to run in track season. Ugh I hated track.

Based on how we were now, Eli would be on the inside for this curve. That was only if Hunter stayed how he was, but this is how Hunter and Jake were positioned too, right before Hunter clipped Jake's back end. He wouldn't do that now though.. would he? He couldn't possibly be dumb enough to want to play bumper cars while both drivers were blindfolded.

"Have we passed a tree on your right?" Eli was still calm and collected as I about had an anxiety attack in the seat next to him over the possibility of something happening.

Just then I saw the tree he must have been talking about coming into my vision, "we are about to pass it," I warned him. "Now!" I said as it became level with us.

Eli shifted again and sped up. But just as he did, Hunter proved that idiocy had all new levels tonight when he started to lean his car closer to ours on my side. I watched as his front end got closer and closer to my door.

"Eli, Eli, Eli-"

"RAI! Use your words! Tell me what is happening," I glanced at him enough to see his grip so tight on the wheel that his knuckles paled and there was sweat glistening down his neck.

"He's getting closer!" I warned him. "I think he is going to try the same thing he pulled on Jake- try to push us off the road or something." Eli's has clench as he pressed on the gas a little harder.