10

After Kameron left, I went upstairs to lay down. With everyone gone, the pounding in my head had begun to fade and I was able to think about everything I had endured in just one week of my new home.

I thought about how much I had missed having real friends; I hadn't grown close to anyone at any of my other schools and I often missed my childhood friends. This small group of misfits had quickly grown on me. They had already taken me in as one of their own, welcoming the lone wolf into their pack. I already felt like family, and although I was surprised to have such a bond right away, I loved it.

I couldn't keep my thoughts from drifting to Eli, of course. I thought of how beautiful he was and about how much he annoyed me. I thought about him inviting me to Lea's party and the way he talked to me, pulling me in and pushing me out constantly. He comes over to invite me to a party, but starts by insulting me. Then, he seems flirty, but leaves immediately after with no reason as to why.

Finally, I thought about Kameron and how he kissed my cheek tonight. I didn't know if it meant something, he seems to be a pretty flirtatious guy, but still. I thought about his positive attitude and how he was so level headed and easy to be around. He didn't drive me up the wall the way Eli did, and he seemed to actually like me.

It didn't take me long to drift off. Luckily I was so tired I didn't have a chance to dream, or in my case, have my usual night terrors. I woke up to the sound of someone pulling into my drive and head lights out my window. It was dark out and when I checked my phone I saw it was almost midnight. It must be Jonny. I ran out of my room to greet him.

I caught sight of my mom's light on as I made my way downstairs. I stopped to see if she wanted to welcome Jonny with me, but when i looked in I saw she was fast asleep with a book beside her on the bed. I turned the lights off and pulled her blankets up. She worked late again.

I quietly shut her door and proceeded downstairs. I ran outside with out even thinking, but when I stepped onto the lawn I realized it was not Jonny's pickup.

I stopped dead in my tracks, my stomaching lurching.

Instead of Jinny's old pick up, I stared at a familiar matte black challenger, the driver still inside the car. I blinked, standing there frozen in the dead of the night.

The engine cut and the lights went out. Eli's long legs stretched out and I watched him stand and shut his door quietly. He was in the same outfit as before, and had his usual stoic expression plastered on his beautiful face. He walked to me carefully.

"Do you always come running out to greet your guests?" He said, but his smug tone was lost somewhere else.

"What are you doing here?" my voice was distant to my own ears. I was in shock.

He was quiet for a moment as he just watched me. I didn't feel the nervous insecurity I had earlier this morning. He didn't look at me with the same judgement in his eyes, but rather thoughtfully. It was strange, he seemed different in the night, his eyes were less guarded.

"I came to bring you your bag, you left it in my car on Monday," he said quietly. What? He came all the way here to bring me my back pack, at midnight? He could have brought it earlier today, or yesterday, or tomorrow, or any other day or time.

"And you decided to bring it in the middle of the night?" I was confused, and tired. I had woken up so abruptly that I still sounded drowsy. My head felt heavy. I took a step to him, he seemed far away.

"I was going to give it to you earlier," he didn't seem to mind me questioning him for once. He looked down as he spoke. "But I had to leave." Again, no explanation as to why he had to leave.