47

"Hey uhm.." I stood up on my toes and turned into Eli as we stood inside waiting on the others to get ready. We didn't have much time anymore, but that didn't affect me, I had nothing else to wear or do. There was no fixing this. Nope.

Eli was listening to Jake and Kameron yelling to each other about what they needed. That included everything from what to wear to the gas they needed. Apparently Kameron was Jake's wingman at all races.

Eli answered me by wrapping an arm around my waist and pulling me into him. Ah. I still wasn't used to this, but boy it felt good. "Do you have a bandaid?" I asked quietly for only him to hear.

He instantly pulled back to look at me with concern on his face. "What for?" His face and voice were folding into anger.

"It's no big deal," I whispered and looked down. Oh great, now he's going back to this.

"Rai," he said more softly. "What happened?"

My mind flashed back to me on the back of Eli's ATV holding on for dear life. I heard him yell something, but I wasn't sure what exactly. I leaned forward to try and hear him better, but just as I did Eli pulled back on the handles and we went flying in the air over a man made jump.

Now this would've been extremely fun, and don't get me wrong it was quite fun, but would've been more so if I would've known. But I didn't. Now that I think about it, that could've been what he had yelled. Maybe it was a 'hey Rai hold on we are about to take this 3 foot jump sending us 10 feet in the air'. Maybe not though.

Anyways, as we were in the air, I lost my grip and slipped off the side. Luckily Eli, of course, caught me before I fell completely off, but he wasn't able to stop my leg from slipping under the tired while it was in the air. Is it even possible to get ran over, while in the air?

I hadn't said anything before because I thought it wasn't a big deal, and honestly I didn't want to stop riding. But when we got back to the house to change and I ran into the bathroom to pee I noticed the hole in my jeans, which by the way were my favorite jeans.

I quickly pulled my jeans up to look at the damage done.

Oh no.

The burn was four inches long and two inches wide just above my ankle. It was bubbling with green puss spilling over. It was outlined with red and purple swollen skin.

Huh.

I thought I was going to pass out.

It's okay.

I pulled my pant leg down and stood. I walked out of the bathroom and met Eli in the living room. Now thats where he asked me what happened.

"You know.. I'm not sure," i lied.

"Let me see," he said.

"Uhm. Actually it's not really a big deal," I told him. I didn't want him to worry, or feel bad. I could probably cover it with my boots the rest of the week. It would be fine.

He gently pushed me back, "now." His authoritative tone was not one I could argue with, not even now.

I stepped back to sit on the couch and brought my leg up to fold up my pant leg. Eli knelt down in front of me and waited. I glanced up at him as I revealed my new (disgusting) burn.

His face went from surprise to anger, and finally to a 'I will fix this' determined look, that had quickly become one of my favorites.

"Rai," he said. "Don't move." He stood and walked away, but he was back in no time with bandaids, Neosporn, and gauze.