17

Typical. That's all I could think about. This was so cliché. Just look at all the drunk kids stumbling around. I wanted to roll my eyes and go back home. All the hype I had for this was fading as I walked through the crowd of sweaty teens swaying to the music. I liked to have a good time, but this was not my scene.

Just when I thought about going back outside and hanging out outside in the fresh air someone backed up into me causing me to fall into Lea. The boy turned around with a football in his hands.

"I'm so sorry," he said. I vaguely recognized him from my chemistry class, Sam. "Are you okay?" He smelt of alcohol, but his eyes blue weren't hazy yet. 

"Yeah, i'm fine," I reassured him.

"Rai!!" Kam came running over from where he had been on the stairs. He must have been the one playing catch with Sam. He picked me up in a warm bear hug. When he set me down he looked at my thoroughly. "Wow." He gaped at my outfit. I felt strange with his eyes on me, not like myself. "You look.. Wow." I wanted to go home and put on my jeans and flannel, but I had to appreciate his compliment.

I smiled and looked down. "It's not really my style," I said shyly. "But Lea thought it would be good for tonight."

I glanced at Lea who was laughing at my embarrassment. "Was I wrong?"

"Definitely not." Kam looked to her, "I guess I should be thanking you for this then," he winked at her. He seemed to then notice her outfit as well. "Whoa," he gaped again, but quickly recovered and averted his eyes from his best friends sister. "You look really pretty." He said, and I could tell he was avoiding looking at her dress again. "Happy birthday," he pulled her into a hug as well.

"You're smothering me," she said muffled in his shoulder. "And stop acting like you've never seen girl again." She referred to the first time that I had met him. I muffled my laugh with a cough.

"Hey! You have to admit you look different," he said as he threw an arm over my shoulder and looked at her affectionately.

"Yeah, yeah. You better stop looking at me like that before i tell Jake and Eli you were the one who spilt the beans about the party," she swatted his arm while he protested. "Where are my brothers anyways?"

"No! Please don't! They would kill me!" he cried as he pulled away from me and begged Lea not to tell.

Lea and I both laughed. He didn't know he was not the only one who had spilt the beans.

"They are over here," he gestured toward the kitchen. "But I will only take you over there if you promise not to tell them."

"Cross my heart," Lea laughed as she used her finger to make an X over her heart.

"Okay," Kam smiled. "Follow me, ladies." he led the way to the kitchen. The smell of alcohol was even stronger in here, but there were fewer people. The people who were here seemed be quickly getting drinks and returning to the party. When we walked in I caught a glimpse of Jake perched up on the counter top with a red solo cup in his hand. He seemed to be telling a story to a few people, but when he glanced up and saw us he immediately jumped down and headed toward us. I scanned the room for the last of the Jones siblings.

My heart sped up as I caught sight of him in his dark clothes and messy hair, but simultaneously stopped as I watched a girl with platinum hair lean in to whisper in his ear. He was facing us, and as the girl leaned in all I could see was her back and almost silver hair. She was in extremely short shorts and a crop top. I could already tell I hated her.

Eli looked up as Jake headed towards us. His eyes met mine and they narrowed. I watched him stiffen all over. I noticed his hand gripping the counter top behind him squeeze making his knuckles go white. I looked away.