Chapter 107: Home (Part 3)

Vouno laughed proudly, "Oh yes, my son, now that you're a noble, we have to choose our family name! This is a glorious thing for our family, the first of our line!"

As commoners of the lowest tier, they do not have the right to have a family name, but they also never felt the need to have one.

Now that Kairos has risen to the ranks of Viscount, it is no longer proper for him to have a single name but two names.

One for himself, and another for his noble family.

And they have yet to choose a family's name.

"Father, I have a question, out of curiosity," said Kairos, and only when he saw his father gesturing for him to continue, he asked, "Why are you named after the mountains, and mother's name Limni, is named after the lakes, while I'm called Kairos?"

It is normal for commoners to be named after the places that they are born or simple ones like Jim, Tommy, Alan or Edward, but the name Kairos is in fact unique.

"Hahaha, oh that? I never told you, did I?"

"Father! Don't just keep me in suspense!"

"Alright, alright. When you were born, your mother took you lovingly into her arms. She called me to come closer, and we looked at your tiny little face.

She asked me then, what name should we give you. We have already a name for you - Pediades which means plains - but when we saw your large eyes and delicate features it felt as if the name we prepared is wrong.

At that time, I jokingly asked you what do you like your name to be?

With a tiny voice, you said, 'Kairos' and then your mother fainted immediately. BWAHAHAHAA!!!"

"What? I spoke right after I was just born?"

"Exactly! What a weirdo you are, right?"

"Hey don't call your own son that!"

"Well, it's true. After your mother fainted, you saw I was laughing so hard, then maybe you were angry at your dad or something. You told me in a really serious voice that the world is coming to an end.

Can you imagine the horror I had when I heard a cute angelic voice declaring the doom of the world? Thanks to that, I fainted right away just like your mom did.

Now that you reminded me, you little rascal, I never get back at you for saying those things."

*?!*

Strange things did happen around Kairos, so much that the boy has already given up on trying to make heads and tails by this time.

Since there is no need to keep dwelling on unsolvable mysteries, it is better to think of a better family name.

The odd thing is, unlike him, all his friends have family names.

Alan Walker

Edward Alfonso

Jim Hope

Tommy Styrkur

And of course Indie Annie Jones

Jim's name is carried over to him because his father is a prominent merchant of the empire.

Edward's name is a secret that he had kept hidden for many years. After asking him too many times, he finally told his brothers, the reason he has a family's name is because he was actually from a middle ranked noble family. But other than that, he had refused to talk.

For some reason, Alan and Tommy, as well, refused to explain why they have family names.

For Jones, his name is the most unique among them. He was told by his father that they came from another land and his name is actually inherited from his ancestor just like the nobles of Saint Empire.