B2, Chapter 31: Zhu Que

The battle ended with such a hefty price that the corpses of Greys had dyed the grounds red. The wise Grey Wolves know that as creatures near enlightenment, scenes of bloodshed and death of family members could turn their young into savage beasts and confined their cubs to the stone mound, but their mourning cries could still be heard from the outside.

After recovering their strength, the boys prepared to enter the Storm Wolves' lair and take back the head of their king. With the majority of the remaining Grey Wolves severely wounded, the boys tried to dissuade their animal companions from following. Still, a handful of the strongest and the Greys' alpha insisted on coming.

Someone must exact vengeance to what was done to them.

On a hidden path found by the twin dragonlings, the group trudged across a thick, foul-smelling mire. The elite Grey Wolves lead the way searching for dry patches of ground, or fallen logs that they can walk on. It took them a short while before they arrived by a dark cave, the lair of the Storm Wolves. Or perhaps, it is more accurate to call it a large hole in the ground.

Without much hesitation, the group tried to climb down, but Kairos halted them.

"We're being monitored once again," he whispered coolly.

No one had felt eyes on them, but they did not doubt his words and immediately prepared their Ki barrier while looking around. But even after sending out their Soul Perception, they found nothing at all.

"There's nothi... Wait. What's this?" Alan, who was speaking halfway suddenly paused. A frown appeared on his face, and he looked intently skyward.

"Hmm, what's wrong?" The others asked, also turning their eyes to where he is looking.

"Don't you guys feel that there is an odd void in the air above?"

When they concentrated, they realised that there are patches of space above that registered as empty spaces in their Soul Perception.

"Something's coming... Lots of them!"

"Are those ..."

Suddenly, beatings of wings and wailing screeches covered the skies. For a moment, it was as though the gates of hell had opened and the wraiths had escaped.

They immediately found themselves surrounded, not just by bats but also a significant number of crows. The latter had been hiding behind whatever cover the bats used to shield them from the Soul Perception.

"We may have trespassed two territories at the same time..."

Thousands of those demonic bats flew out of the hole in the ground, and in every tree, there are several crow nests. The dragonlings had failed to discover them as they scouted ahead.

Unlike before, the bats show much greater aggression when protecting their home. Their shrieks bombarded the entire area, forcing the boys and their grey wolf companions to retreat.

While their Ki Barrier shielded them, the energy they are using up is concerning.

"Looks like they have been holding back on us before," Kairos said as they dodged for cover. Although they are quickly backing away, they are not in any real danger, only the lightning storm they faced before was an actual threat thus far.

"I don't think the other beasts of the forest had a choice when they fought us previously, but now they are just trying to protect their home," Alan whispered, feeling empathic towards their enemies.

Edward sighed, "I agree, but it doesn't matter if our enemies are good or evil. They have taken the side of the Storm Wolves, and if we retreat now, the Greys will die."