Chapter 73: Towards a future he wants

He continued down the slums towards the other students' homes. One by one he delivered the news.

Among those families, he saw many different emotions played out, and his heart grew heavier and heavier with each stop he made.

There were those that are in grief in their loss. A few are even gleeful after hearing the news because of the crystals he gave, to which he shook his head and left immediately.

But many shows fear on their faces from losing a son or daughter that could support the family.

After handing out all eleven bags of crystallised essences, he headed back towards the dorm. Many of the families he visited have been offered the same job that he offered Xuan Xian.

As the student president, he will need to take care of the many purchases of training resources for the academy.

This way, his job could become autonomous, moreover, each time such a task is assigned, the empire will pay for the items handsomely. Any leftovers are usually pocketed by the runner. Therefore, most student presidents will assign such tasks to their own men, in order to strengthen their own power.

The training resources needed for nearly three hundred practitioners are huge indeed, and there will be plenty of jobs around, but instead of giving it to gain more supporters, Kairos has decided to assign all the tasks to the families with a recent loss.

Of course, with his experience of living in the poorer sectors of the empire, he knows how filthy people's character can become in order to live better. There is no doubt that some people will definitely take advantage of his kindness. Therefore he will only offer the tasks to the ones he felt are trustworthy.

It is true that he will not directly gain anything for assigning the jobs to those people, but it is exactly things like this that sets Kairos apart from the other leaders. His strong leadership charisma, his calm attitude in perilous times, his quick-wit, decisiveness, and impressive combat talent, are definitely admirable, but it is this generous, affable and wholehearted manner of his that caused so many people to adore and follow after him.

Of course, he isn't perfect either. Besides his naïve and trusting nature, if compared with his peers, he is also not the most excellent in many areas. Among those he has met, the most intelligent is probably George, followed by Luciette. Regarding combat ability, he is leagues behind Jones. Regarding backing, he is at the lowest level and just about anyone will have more of a background than him.

However....

Why would George's teammates, Snow and leaf sisters, Small and Smaller twins, so readily sworn fealty to him if they had not heard for themselves and seen with their own eyes that Kairos treat people like people?

No doubt, he was intelligent, but he wasn't cold and unfeeling. Regardless of the things they had faced, he had dedicated his entirety to protect their shared belief.

His words, and more so his actions, had stirred the hearts of those that fought alongside with him. Even the seniors who watched the crystal recordings of his battles felt their blood burn with fervour as they gain deep respect towards Kairos.

Most believed him to be a high noble through his actions, and thus they misunderstood him as being humble when he dressed up like a commoner.

A low born covered in mud and dirt having a princely manner? Ridiculous.

Which of those crude people with low-intellect could have the bearing one us nobles?

Those of the gentry did not think it possible.