Chapter 24: Starfire formation (玄火星辰阵)

After the previous rain of arrows, only fifty odd Orcs remained, but this number nearly got cut in half as those weaker beasts exploded into flaming bits from the tyrannical fire array. Those that could still fight are few in numbers.

Those that survived groan with intense pain, the wave of fire pressed against them, trying to force them back. But instead of backing down, the stronger Orcs pressed their charge, and with their mighty bodies, they somehow managed to shatter the flaming shockwave. These beasts enraged by the pain rushed forward savagely, led by nine Entry D ranked Orcs.

The Starlight array may have heavily wounded them, but Kairos' teams are not much better in condition. It is an incredibly potent offensive stratagem, working in the same theory as a runic set. Runes are of nature's laws which call upon the true name of the elements to control it as one wishes.

The team have fulfilled the two criteria needed to activate a Rune by using their formation and Ki to replicate an inscription of fire, and power it by a union of their Ki. Fortunately, the array that Kairos has created is perfectly in tune with the element's true name, and therefore they did not explode into the sky when they activated such a powerful array using their bodies.

Depending on how much the medium could endure and the type of rune, the power unleashed could be as powerful as a volcano or as little as a candle that is why everyone craves for a higher grade of weapon. Therefore, even if it is the same type of runes inscribed on Kairos' Swallow, this amount of power they called forth using one's body is incomparably stronger than an activation from a single weapon. One can only imagine the potency of the Starfire array formed by so many of them, even if it is only at forty percent power.

After activating the array, many of the guys slumped weakly onto the forest ground. Having expended most of their Ki for this activation, they are in no condition for direct combat.

While their hearts have not given into despair, their bodies drained of energy are unable to react to the D rank Orcs that are almost upon them.

Those D rank Orcs, Orc captains, stand half a head taller than their kin. Their skin glowed in emerald green, and their faces more hideous than the peons and the grunts, but their eyes shone with intelligence.

With a great wave of its arm, one of the Orc captains attacked the group with its oversized stone club. Seeing the fearsome blow aimed at their helpless teammates, those that could still move, threw themselves forward to block the attack.

If those that can move do not receive the blow, then they cannot imagine how many will die in this place.

Alan, Jim, Tommy, Edward and the four captains also ran forward desperately to help, but the other Orc Captains immediately engaged them.

The battle quickly turned into eight students against nine Orcs captains.

The height difference and how, extremely slowly, both groups are fighting while hindered by their wounds would make it a comedic scene if not for the grisly injuries that the students have from head to toe.

From the crystal ball in the instructors' room, the instructors looked horrified at the clash between men and beasts.

The short and round Head of Logistics instructor grip the arm of his chair furiously as he and even his close friends, the Head of Student Affairs instructor and the Disciplinarian Head instructor glared lividly at the Head of Events instructor.

The three are adamant to stop this exercise ever since Alucard's group fell into danger, but without the Head of Events instructor's permission, they are unable to do so nor can they bypass her decisions. By protocol, they have to submit their request to the higher ups first in order to do anything.