Chapter 63: The Origin manual targeted!

Back at the living quarters of the academy, each student lived in a private dorm room provided by the school. Every squad of five were generously assigned rooms that were placed next to each other on the same floor; displaying how important the academies are to the Empire from such an extravagant arrangement.

However, not every student stay in the school with the others. Those with lodgings within the city were allowed to live outside if they preferred.

For the five boys who came from a terribly impoverished village, they were overjoyed when they first received their rooms. But they almost cried when they pushed open their doors and saw four empty walls and a straw mat on the floor. Just like the rest of the empire, anything they wish to acquire needs to be earned with their own abilities.

Even so, right now, they couldn't wait to go back and rest.

After the five of them finally dragged their feet back to their rooms, Kairos bade them goodnight.

It had been a series of unreasonable battles. The ten days siege had worn him down and out. And without much rest after, they rushed over to battle the Orc King, then straight after, a mad dash towards the West hill, two days away.

For some reason, the thought of seeing his straw mat is enough to bring him to tears. But, as his door creaked open, a disastrous sight awaited him.

The pathetic few things that he had were flung onto the ground, and there were signs of destruction and patches of burnt areas all over.

It looked as though a group of people had rummaged through his stuff to seek for something.

Nothing in his room was left untouched, and the mat had been cut up by something sharp to check for hidden objects within. At the corner of the room was a decrepit but unassuming tome. Bound in browning, old leather, its pages were empty, just like the books used to keep records. Not only empty but smooth and completely unmarked within.

Of course, it only appears like this to others; Kairos could still see the strange letters carved on its tattered pages.

Whoever was searching through the place must have thrown it to the side, but it was the most valuable item that he had. The tome of Origin.

He quickly went forward to flip through it. Somehow, not a single page appears to be missing, and the book itself has remained intact in all ways.

He breathed a sigh of relief. He secretly felt fortunate. For such a thing to happen to him was something he had never expected. Having things stolen requires one to have things in the first place, and he obviously never had such a problem before.

"I should've kept it safe somewhere."

Of all the things he owns, this is the only possible item those that others might be interested in, then the reason for this mess is easy to deduce. People are curious how he had gained power.

.....

On the other side in Saint City, the capital of their empire, and where the Saint Cadets Academy is situated at, a group of people dressed in black stood in attention in front of a man who looked overly self-important.

"Are you all idiots? Why did you not retrieve that tome?

Do you think anyone would keep such an old and tattered book if it is empty? It MUST have some secrets!"

"Sir! We thought that he must have found an old discarded book and is keeping it as a notebook? He is very poor after all!"

"SHUT THE HELL UP! Are you talking back to me right now?