B2, Chapter 24: Grey Wolves (Part 1)

Treading quietly and swiftly across the undergrowth with nary a rustle, this time they are careful to avoid the crows spying on them. After all, they are clever kids that learn from mistakes. Their previous failure happened because they were tracked by the beasts. If they have to fight and eliminate the Black Wind Wolves, they want to choose their own battlefields.

No doubt the crows and bats are actively searching for them now.

To prevent another ambush, a spotter in the group will cover their surroundings with Soul Perception that they may react far ahead in time while the rest can remain in optimal fighting condition. Although with their increased cultivation, they could now keep up with the expense of keeping it on, there is never a reason to allow carelessness.

Not even five minutes later, Alan, who is on the first shift whispered a warning with a deep frown etched on his brow.

"Wolves. Not the Black Winds but another kind."

The group were alarmed. They had burnt a fragrant grass to smoke their clothes and covered any residual scent with dirt. They were quite sure that no wolves in the forest should be able to find them now unless other party had been waiting specifically in this place, or if they had the bad luck to run into their enemies unknowingly.

The guys lowered their body and readied for combat.

Unexpectedly, the wolves did not spring on them, and instead after a soft rustling of leaves to indicate their presence, a small pack of grey-coloured wolves came out of the undergrowth to look curiously at them. These canids have a fierce intelligence in their eyes, and though they are still fearfully large, they did not emit any murderous intent.

Their appearance made the boys confused. Maybe the Black Winds not yet dominated the entire forest?

The alpha of the pack slowly and carefully approached. It headed towards Kairos, naturally picking up the alpha of the humans. Its head is lowered, but its eyes looked carefully for any aggression. As it came close, Kairos recognised there is no danger and gestured for his brothers to not make any sudden moves. He approached the wolf in the same manner as the creature did, with slow and deliberate steps, walking towards the left as the wolf came from his right. The boy and the grey wolf stopped almost the same time, confirming a silent truce.

A curious smile danced on Kairos' lips.

Without a doubt, these wolves are here with a purpose, but there is an obvious communication barrier. Unless they reached spiritual enlightenment, beasts have no way of speaking the human language.

The alpha sniffed the air a little then turned and walked back towards where it came from. It stopped after a few steps and looked back at them.

"I think it's telling us to follow."

The boys looked at each other, then silently followed. When they stepped through the bushes, a different view greeted them. Albeit the entire forest seemed tainted black by the shadows, this place alone is lit by luminous green mushrooms. The dim light showed them an enchanting and otherworldly place filled with small critters and lush vegetation.

Here the darkness wasn't invading. It was comforting and peaceful. Without realising, they soon reached a small rocky mound with a fissure opening as an entrance. The wolves looked at them again and walked in, asking them to follow. The boys could already hear the whining of young pups from outside. Just as they entered, they discovered a rather roomy cave, a home for over a hundred wolves.

A litter of wolf pups played near the entrance. The smaller ones slept silently under the watchful eyes of the adults, while the older ones yelped excitedly when they saw humans for the first time. These little ones curiously approached with fluffy round paws and tiny wet snouts, but the alpha wolf merely gazed at them and snorted, and the pups playfully ran away. The other wolves also dispersed, leaving only their leader bringing the boys deeper into the den.