Chapter 77

Eden

Out of nowhere

KNOCK. KNOCK. KNOCK.

Who could it possibly be in this snowstorm?

I went to the front door and looked through the peephole. There was nobody there. Actually, there was nothing to be seen except white. Everything was white outside like a blank canvas. It was snowing heavily and the wind was whirling the white flakes around incessantly.

Had I only imagined it?

However, just after I had convinced myself that the sound might have been from my imagination, I heard it again. I turned around and tried to figure out where the sound came from. I followed the knocking noise and realized that it was a branch from a tree next to the window. The wind had been so strong, the branches that normally would not have even touched the window managed to bang against the glass. The sound was audible every once in a while whenever the wind turned. At some point my ears were able to blend it out or the wind simply stopped sweeping the branches to knock against the glass.

I returned to the story in my reading device and got sucked back into the story. When I finally looked up from it I had finished another romantic fiction and my stomach was rumbling from hunger.

On my way to the kitchen to grab food to silence my starving belly I heard something strange. It was not the knocking I had been hearing on and off before but rather a muffled voice. I waited a few seconds to ascertain that I was not mistaken. And then there it was again. It definitely sounded like a voice or maybe a howling. I decided to investigate, and the noise led me to the front door again.

When I looked through the peephole once again it was completely black. I turned around to look at the windows.

Was it already night time?

And I realized that it was indeed dark everywhere. And since I did not see anything through the hole I turned around again to go to he kitchen.

"Please, open the door."

I stopped in my tracks, my heart began racing as I returned to the front door.

It can't be. Can it?

Who would be crazy enough to go out in this blizzard?

This time I did not bother to look through the peephole and just used the key to open the door. And as I did, I was greeted by freezing cold air and swirling snow which shocked my whole system. Before I could recover from the frostiness, something heavy clashed against my body and I lost control. With a loud thump, I fell to the ground with whatever it was that fell on me.

The heavy weight on my whole body took my breath away. I looked and realized that it was a person. I gathered all my strength and wiggled my way out from underneath the person and when I did the body rolled over on to its back. Before inspecting the person closer I stood up and shut the door while pushing the body's legs away from the entrance.

When I finally kneeled on the floor to inspect the body, I was astonished, shocked, and dumbfounded all at the same time.

It was Keane.

Why the freaking hell did he get here during a blizzard?

His face was pale, there were ice crystals on his eyebrows, and lashes, and the most worrisome part was, his lips which were bluish. I tapped his face to wake him but there was no reaction. He was in danger of suffering severe hypothermia from the looks of him.

My nurse's instincts kicked in. I had to warm him up fast. First, I dragged him in front of the fireplace by holding his hands over his head, his frozen body sliding on the floor. I managed to position him on the carpet.

Secondly, I had to get rid of his clothes which was not an easy feat because they clung to him like a second skin. Keane was wise enough, despite his dumb idea to get out into the blizzard, to put on several layers of clothing. However, all the layers were frozen, as if he had taken a swim and the cold snowstorm solidified the water on his clothes.

Did he fall in some sort of water source?

Thirdly, I grabbed the blanket I had on the sofa and covered his naked body with it. But that was not enough, so I ran into the bedroom and grabbed the blankets there as well. I wrapped him up in those sheets and waited. Carefully looking at his face and watching his lips, I was still worried. He was not getting warm fast enough. His lips were still blue and he was still unconscious.

After grabbing some towels from the bathroom, I went to the kitchen and boiled some water in which I soaked the cloths. They were so hot I could barely hold them as I went back to the living room to place them on Keane's head. The towels cooled down fast after being on his forehead. I did the same procedure over and over again until there was no boiled water left.

Because that was not enough, I did not hesitate and did not think long before I took off my pajamas and slipped naked under the covers to hug his body. I lied down on top of him. My body recognized his hard muscled body immediately, that was helpful because muscles generated heat.

His freezing cold body was a shock to my system, but I did not move away. My sweaty body cooled down instantly. I rubbed my hands up and down his arms and shoulders and my feet were moving up and down his lower legs.

I did not stop with what I was doing until his flesh caught some of my own body heat. At that point I decided to warm him up from the inside with coffee. I stood up and left him to prepare the hot brew. Getting a sleeping person to take a few sips was going to be a challenge which I dreaded but I knew was necessary.

I coaxed and talked softly into his ear to wake him up, "Keane, open your eyes. Come on, love. Take a sip of this coffee. It will help warm you up."

He did not respond for a while and when he did, his eyelids hardly opened. He looked delirious, there was no recognition in his eyes. He was barely conscious.

He moaned hoarsely as his body was plagued by bouts of shivers which happened over and over again.

I lifted his head and after blowing the hot drink, poured small gulps into his mouth. He managed to swallow a few sips before falling back asleep again. I was not happy with the amount he drank, but it was better than nothing at all.

After that I lied down on top of him again and continued with the rubbing. I did not know for how long but at some point my body began to tire from the whole ordeal, so I put my head on his chest, and listened to his heartbeat which was very slow. The gentle beating sound lulled me into sleep.

*

A thumping noise coming from the fireplace woke me up. The fire had gone out and everything was dark. It took me a few seconds to orientate myself, and then everything came back to me. I was still lying on Keane, and he was still unmoving. His breathing was rhythmical and steady, so I assumed that he was still asleep since I could not see his face in the darkness.

His body temperature has risen. Actually, I realized that I was beginning to sweat again as I felt a layer of moistness between our skin. When I decided to roll off his body, his arms suddenly grabbed me and kept me in place.

*

Hey all!

For those who are old enough to read some steamy hot, sexy scenes, please check out the *bowchickawowwow*  in my other book for restricted chapters.

Here is the link:

https://my.w.tt/Qnq1WWvqS6

For those who aren't the chapter ends here.

Lots of love
Callie