Chapter 38

Eden

My heart stopped as I turned my head to look at him. Keane's eyes widened.

"Eden?"

I was sure I wore the same expression of shock and bewilderment on my face. However, it wasn't because I was surprised, as I already knew he was at the party given that I heard his conversation with Mr. Holloway, rather it was because he saw me in my current state of disarray. The low, messy bun looked as messy as could be, hanging at the nape of my head as if I just finished running a marathon, or, worst case scenario, as if I just had a roll in the hay. Judging by his angered stare directed at Levi, I supposed he assumed the latter of the mentioned options.

He lunged at Levi as fast as lightning. I didn't even realize what he was about to do. Levi was just as blindsided, if not even more confused, given that he didn't know my relation to Keane, as I never actually mentioned his name in front of him. I never did, because of his initial reaction when I admitted that I was already in a relationship. It occurred to me that we wouldn't be seeing much of each other after those two work weeks at their house anyway, so there was no need for him to know too many details of my life.

I saw Keane's fist meet Levi's jaw and my whole system was in shutdown at the sight of the vicious punch. My heart began racing thrice the normal speed and my blood rushing was clearly audible in my ears along with my wild heartbeat.

The look of confusion and disbelief on Levi's face as he lied on the grass was witnessed by my eyes, but my brain seemed to have not yet processed the meaning of the whole scene. He was rubbing his paining face as he exclaimed, "What the fûcking hell was that for? What is your problem?"

Levi's voice woke me up from my stupor and I finally understood what had just happened. My face that initially showed complete horror at what Keane did turned into fear and worry as I looked down at Levi and his jaw that had turned crimson. I crouched down to him to check his face, by gently touching his reddened jaw.

Once I was sure that the punch didn't cause any serious damage, I looked back up at Keane accusingly. He, on the other hand, wore an expression of dismay. Or was it jealousy? I wasn't certain as I was too worked up by the whole situation to interpret his look properly.

"Why did you do that?" I asked reproachfully.

"Why are you here? With him?" Was his counter question.

"I'm working."

"What does that even mean? Look at yourself, and tell me again that you're working," he hissed through his lips. The sound of underlying anger was clearly audible despite his effort to control it. It made me step back, away from him, which happened to be closer to Levi's chest who had stood up and was standing behind me caressing his tender jaw. He was watching us curiously, putting the pieces of the puzzle together in his head.

As demanded, I looked down at myself, perfectly aware of what sight would greet me. Levi's tuxedo jacket over my ripped dress which I was holding tightly with my one arm. "Keane, please, I can explain," I began as I took a step closer to him. When I saw him stiffen, I stopped in my tracks.

"What is there to explain?" He said in resignation, "I get it. I get why you didn't tell me about this, any of this." He waved his hand at the garden and the house to point at the surroundings.

"What is he?" Keane asked nodding at Levi, "Is he your plan B in case we don't work out, or am I your plan B?"

Utter shock and complete disbelieve flooded my whole system. My mouth went open and shut as I didn't know how to react to his wrong assumption. I shook my head, gently first, and then more vigorously.