Chapter 36

Eden

My eyes widened at his admission. "What do you mean? I told you I have a boyfriend already, right?"

"I know that," he replied with a forced grin, "But I just wanted this one night, just once. This is not even a date or anything, if that's what you're worried about. You're still officially on duty, but don't just focus solely on my father and enjoy the night a little bit. With me?"

I didn't know what to say, and it was hard to come up with words when staring into his smoldering eyes.

"Okay."

That one word, a simple, innocent and often used term, seemed like a enchanted one, as it conjured the brightest smile I had ever seen on Levi's face, and it stayed there for quite a while throughout the night. He led the way through the crowd with my arm in his. With each stride he emanated self-confidence and charisma that left the women around him in awe and the men impressed.

We spoke to countless people. He seemed to know everyone well, as he was sure to ask every person in front of him how a certain friend or relative was doing during the small talks. I was introduced as his very good friend, and he never let go of my arm the entire time.

The women threw me curious and envious glances, and I couldn't hold those feelings towards me against them, as he really was a great catch. The gazes the men directed at me made me uncomfortable to say the least. Levi squeezed my arm accompanied by a smile to reassure me when I looked down or away from embarrassment at those unpleasant stares. All this time his father had always been within range of vision, so I was sure that he was doing great and was having fun.

Once Levi was done talking to what seemed like every single guest in the party, we made our way to the garden to get some fresh air. We passed by a server carrying canapés as well as one with champagne. Levi took the whole tray of food and a whole bottle of the exquisite drink along with two glasses. There were plenty of people enjoying themselves in the garden, but we just walked passed them quickly to find ourselves a quiet spot.

Levi directed us towards a tree with hanging branches far into the garden. The chatter and music of the party seemed distant at the place where he led us. He took off his tuxedo jacket and placed it on the trunk for me to sit on before he lifted me up and positioned me there. After heaving himself next to me, he held the tray of food in my direction for me to pick some and enjoy. We sat there in silence as we ate and drank.

"I'm gonna miss seeing you after tonight," he said before putting the last piece of canapé into his mouth.

I looked at him and thought about the words he just said. Realization hit me that I felt the same way. His presence and his easygoing charm had grown on me in the last two weeks that I had known him, and I had to admit to myself that I would regret his absence too.

"I'm going to miss seeing you and talking to you too," I replied looking at him with a smile.

"Well then, we should see each other from time to time, if your boyfriend allows it."

I didn't do or say anything as I was unsure of Keane's reaction. All I knew was that Vic would definitely not allow it, and I couldn't tell, if I myself would be happy if Keane met with other women casually who liked him the way Levi liked me. When I finally opened my mouth to share my thoughts, Levi spoke up, "I don't think your boyfriend will like it though. I know, I wouldn't if I was him. So, tonight is very likely the last time we see each other." I just nodded in agreement as I felt that there was nothing left to say.