Chapter 46

Keane

I woke up and Eden had already gone to work at the hospital. My phase of fruitless and aimless existence was finally coming to an end, as the urge to do something more with my life rather than just hiding from the world was here. All this time of not doing anything productive everyday had turned ridiculous since Eden entered my life, and I was grateful for her.

My girlfriend was busy with her work and I realized that I needed to refocus my life. What should I do with my life now? Go back to what I had been doing before the fiasco with Amanda? Or something else? But what?

Those important questions needed to wait for answers because I got two phone calls in the morning, and two places to go to. Firstly, a call from Anne, my mother's friend who she wrote those meaningful letters to. Secondly, from my father James, who told me that he got the paternity test results. I wondered how he could have gotten the results if I didn't even give him anything with my DNA on, but I would just have to ask him personally and get my question answered then.

The first appointment was with Anne at a nearby coffee shop. She just gave me the letters she had received from my mother long time ago, and we engaged in small talk for a while before we said our goodbyes. It had to have been obvious to her that my mind was somewhere else, namely on the paternity test results that James claimed he had waiting for me. I explained it to her and promised to meet up with her at a later time as I was curious to know more stories about my mother she said she had plenty to tell me about.

*

The drive to the Holloway mansion was filled anticipation of the scientific proof in black and white for everyone involved to finally be rid of any doubt about my paternity. I wondered how my relationship to James would change and how Levi would react to it. There hadn't been many instances in my life where I wanted to be accepted and welcomed with open arms like in this one, where I wanted to belong, as I didn't have a family anymore with my mother gone.

Butler Hobsworth greeted me with a warm smile like he always did. He had known me since I was born as he had been serving the Holloway family for a long time. I was told that James was waiting for me in the living room. Not in his office, huh? He probably chose a location that would make all of the parties involved more comfortable, if that was even possible.

When I arrived in the big den with the many glass doors that showcased the terrace leading to the impressive pool, I saw James sitting on the couch with a drink in his hands and a Manila envelope in front of him on the glass coffee table. "Uhum." I cleared my throat to announce my presence as he had his back turned in my direction while he looked out into the open.

He immediately turned his head and smiled as he saw me. After putting his drink on the table in front of him he stood up and motioned for me to have a seat. "Ah. There you are. Come, sit down." I did as I was told and sat down across from him so I could face him while we talked. "Do you want a drink? Water? Coffee? I could tell Hobsworth to bring you whatever you want," he said as he looked around for the butler who stood by the entrance of the den. However, before he could summon the help to fetch me whatever I preferred to drink, I declined. "No, thanks. Not now. Maybe later."

"Oh, okay," he replied awkwardly as he returned his gaze on me. I figured he had to be as tense as I was in the situation, which was understandable. After clearing his throat he began, "So, uhh. I have the results here." His eyes darted towards the envelope on the glass table and mine followed his. "They came early this morning."