Chapter 35

Eden

When I woke up on Saturday morning, I was happy about the fact that it was my last day of work at the Holloway's mansion, and that I would finally be back at the hospital soon. However, I was also glum because Keane didn't call anymore after his abrupt disappearance the previous night.

I decided to walk over to his apartment to say good morning to him personally. However, he didn't open the door, and when I called him, I only got his voicemail. My already bad mood got even worse and I didn't look forward to my shift at Levi's house at all, without having sorted out whatever it was that was bothering Keane.

After a small breakfast during which I barely ate anything, because I mostly stared into space while thinking about what could possibly be wrong with my boyfriend, or what I could have done to make him avoid me. I thought that maybe something happened with his family, or the PI found something else about his mother. However, that option didn't make any sense, as he surely would have just explained it to me. I couldn't come up with a plausible explanation that would explain his sudden change in attitude, so my mood didn't improve in the least.

*

The day passed by without a sign of him, neither a phone call, a message nor anything from him personally. I was taking a shower and was already getting myself ready to be picked up for my final night shift at the Holloway's mansion, when I heard my ringtone. I rushed out of the shower without a towel dripping all over my floor just to answer it, but was too late. Instead I saw that a voicemail message was left for me by Keane. I eagerly listened to it. His reserved voice only said that he was sorry that he couldn't see me that day before I went to work, and that he had some commitments later that night, so he probably wouldn't be able to answer any phone calls.

I was stunned by the message to say the least. He was basically telling me that he would be so busy that even if I called him, he wouldn't be picking up. Doubts and uncertainty filled my brain with ludicrous scenarios of what he could possibly be doing that he wouldn't even be able to quickly answer the phone when I called him.

Peter the chauffeur was already waiting when I got out of my apartment building, and I felt just a tinge of nostalgia about the fact that I would probably not see him again after this final shift. We didn't exchange many words, but he was one of those people whose presence was pleasant and reassuring, and there were simply no words needed. The usually long drive flew by quickly and we were soon at the mansion.

When I got out of the car I was greeted by busy people buzzing around the place. They all wore server uniforms. I wondered what was going on, and decided to ask the head butler Hobsworth. However, he was nowhere to be found, instead I was greeted by Levi who gave me kisses on both cheeks and hugged me tightly in greeting. I was surprised at his exuberance, and I had to admit his embrace felt good. My bad mood improved a little because of his smiling face and positive aura.

When I asked him what was going on he insisted on explaining everything once I had finished checking on his father. James Holloway was fit as a fiddle and was already roaming around calmly delegating his employees at home who were busy with decorating the place. My presence or that of a nurse in that household was completely superfluous given the condition of Mr. Holloway. However, I ignored that fact as it was my last shift there anyway.

Levi was tailing me the whole time, and I wondered what that was all about, but I didn't ask as he already said that the explanation would come soon. He accompanied me to my room in the mansion and even entered it with me. I understood why he did what he did once we were inside. There were several people inside.