Chapter 20

Eden

A decent cook? Gustave Bocuse was currently one of the biggest upcoming chefs in the world. And I get to watch him in action and eat his food? I was speechless.

"Gustave, this is Eden, a very good friend of mine," Levi began, "Her empty stomach was growling. She needs food, tout de suite!" I was surprised by his referral to me as a very good friend and embarrassed by the comment that followed. Gustave was a friendly guy who approached me enthusiastically and pulled me into a tight bear hug after which several kisses alternately on both of my cheeks followed. His French accent was so prominent in every word he spoke, and I loved listening to him.

"Take a seat, ma chérie," he led me to the set table and pulled a chair back for me to sit on, "I will 'ave somezeeng ready for you in just a momont. Is der a specific dish you want me to cook for you? You eet everyzeeng, no?"

I was overwhelmed by his presence and by his welcoming warmth, I decided I liked him, very much. "I will eat whatever you cook for me, Mr. Bocuse."

"What nonsense is dis? Do not call me Mr. Bocuz. We are friends now, no? Levi's friend is my friend too. Oui?" I nodded in agreement, "Très bien!" And he returned to his station in the kitchen. It was a wonderful thing for me to witness such an incredible master in cooking, I was stretching my neck trying to watch his swift moves while preparing the food.

When I felt Levi's hand on mine which I had casually placed on the table, I realized I had been rude to him by ignoring his presence completely. I looked back at him apologetically, "I'm sorry, it's just I don't know if I ever get the chance to watch such an amazing cook up close, ever again." He just smiled at me understandingly, stood up and grabbed my hand, "Let's get you a better view then," as he led me on the other side of Gustave's cooking space, I beamed at him in gratitude.

"You want to watch, ma chérie?" Gustave looked up from the dish he was just putting together, "Sure, pas de problème! 'Eer, try dis," as he gave me a spoon to taste. It was the most delicious parsnip purée I had ever tasted. How could something as mundane as parsnip purée be turned into such deliciousness? "You like it? Oui?" I nodded my head approvingly.

It went on and on with the tasting, "Now dis, tell me 'ow you like dis." Or "You 'ave to taste dis." One would say all the tasting before a meal could ruin one's appetite, however, just the opposite was the case with me. All the different flavors just whet my hunger for more and I was excited when countless dishes were placed on our table.

We were served various dishes for every course as well as different wines that perfectly harmonized with each and every one of those courses. I was speechless by the surprising tastes of already known delicacies. He had reinvented and elevated common dishes into a pieces of art.

My sole focus was on the food before me, I was completely unaware of Levi's staring. Several times during dinner I had to close my eyes in pure delight over the wonderful flavors and moaned in pleasurable ecstasy. "Uhumm..." Levi cleared his throat and shifted in his seat, "That good, huh?" I nodded and smiled in blissful agreement.

Dazed by the many glasses of wine, I felt like Charlie in the chocolate factory who entered a place filled with wonderful dishes that just caused incredible sensations in one's mouth. I looked with regret at the many plates that were still half full because we couldn't possibly have eaten everything we were served. Levi had to have seen my gaze because he chuckled and ordered someone to wrap the rest into a doggy bag without even asking me. The thing was, I wasn't even ashamed of my audacity to accept those bags because it was simply too wasteful to leave them there. And since I doubted that anyone else would have finished it, I just shook my embarrassment off.