Chapter 5

Keane

I picked up my paper in front of my door, and the looked up at someone standing at my new neighbor's door.

Wow! I had to be dreaming. I couldn't believe the woman I had longed to see and even dreamed of was standing in front of me.

So I hadn't imagine her laugh earlier this morning after all.

I looked her up and down. She stood there only in her panties and a tank top in front of a closed door. She had locked herself out.

How very sexy she looked, despite the panic in her eyes. We stared at each other, no idea for how long until my brain started to function again.

"Good morning! Need help?" was the first thing that came to mind as I grinned at her.

She cleared her throat. "Do you know where I can find the superintendent? We do have one, right? Someone with a spare key to my apartment?"

"Yes, we do. Actually, I'm not sure where to find him. But I can help you look. We can look for him together." I suggested.

I stepped into my apartment, pulled my door wide open and gestured for her to come inside.

She had one of those faces one can easily read, which I liked, it was an honest face. Very little chance of deception on her part, I thought, which was good.

"I assume you don't want to wait in the hallway dressed like that?" I asked amused by her hesitation.

She looked down at herself realizing her state of undress. I saw the exact moment when her face changed from indecision to determination. She walked quickly into my apartment.

The moment she was inside my apartment she lost all inhibitions. She walked around on her own, inspected and explored my place.

"Your place is beautiful. Very big and open." she praised.

"So...do you want to get right to it and go look for the superintendent? Or...would you like to have breakfast first?" I asked walking to my open kitchen from where one could see to the dining and living room.

I was waiting for her answer. She seemed to not have heard my question. I just stood there, watching her every move, liking her presence in my place of solace where I settled down to retreat after my heart was broken and torn to pieces. Nobody, other than Alex, has ever been inside my apartment.

She was the first woman I let in, in this new place, that has become my place of refuge, my safe haven. I wondered what that meant. But I didn't pursue that thought. Now was not the time to ponder.

She was in the den looking at my grand piano. She tapped a few keys, the sound spread softly in the entire room. She looked up and around to find me and stared smilingly into my eyes.

"Just tea for me please, if you have some."

"Peppermint, chamomile, Earl grey, or something else?"

"Peppermint is fine, thanks."

I busied myself with her drink and prepared one for me too. When I left the kitchen with the two cups in my hands she met me halfway, grabbed one of the cups and we sat down on the couch with the hot beverage in our hands.