Sophie nodded and sat down in the boat across from Fitz as he let go of her hand to untie the boat and put the oars in the water. Sophie watched Fitz and couldn't help but admire his shoulders had filled out more and his jaw seemed more defined. She didn't think he could ever get any more attractive but in the past 6 months he had and it made her heart flutter.

"Did you get the scroll from the council? I know they wanted you to get settled after graduation for a little bit before we started working as cognates for them but it sounds like they want us to check something out soon." Fitz casually asked. He could see their destination over Sophie's shoulder and was anticipating her reaction when they arrived.

"Yes, I wanted to talk to you about it and see if you knew more. It seemed kind of vague but with the council who knows what is really going on." 

"They didn't tell me much, my dad said they will let us know more about assignments as we get more experience. I'm just glad I get to work with you again. Solo telepathy assignments are boring." Fitz said giving Sophie a wink. With one hard row the boat hit the sandy shore line and nestled into the sand. Sophie turned to look not expecting the sudden change from water to land.

"Fitz, what is this?" Sophie asked stunned to see a pergola draped in a chiffon canopy with a candlit table for two set up underneath.

"Surprise!" Fitz said coyly. "I wanted to celebrate your graduation just the two of us. Biana agreed to help get you here."

The gold flecks in Sophie's eyes twinkled, "you mean she didn't need a blue spring blossom?"

"Nope, just a way to get you to the dock." Fitz explained as he helped Sophie out if the boat, guiding her towards the table.

"And her insisting on fixing my hair and makeup?"

"That was all Biana, I reminded her you were perfect without it." Fitz paused for a second, "she didn't make you wear the dress?"

"Nope that was Edaline. She said now that I have graduated I needed to start looking like a young lady of nobility." Sophie said rolling her eyes.

Fitz nodded knowing how much Sophie hated wearing dresses, and pulled out her chair to help her get comfortable. He lowered his head and quietly whispered in her ear, "it doesn't matter what you wear, you will always be the most beautiful girl to me."

Sophie felt the tingles run from her ear down her neck. Fitz was always a gentleman but tonight he seemed extra attentive. The conversation was easy as usual as they laughed over Keefe stories and Biana going boy crazy in the tower. In no time at all the sun had set and the moon was rising in the sky. A comfortable silence settled between them as Fitz played with Sophie's hand, both of them watching the stars begin to twinkle. Fitz took a deep breath and collected his thoughts.

"I remember the last time we were here, I felt like I wanted to stay up and talk with you all night but I knew I needed to get you home so Grady would let me see you again. Sophie, I love that when I found you in the museum you trusted me to show you where you really belonged and with all that we have gone through together you have been by my side. I want to know that no matter what happens or where life takes us that I never have to let you go at night. I know we have an eternity to grow old and have our ears turn pointy and I am hoping that you will want to spend it with me. Sophie you are my best friend, my cognate and the love of my life, I know we are young but will you be my wife and promise to be with me forever?" Fitz spoke so heartfelt and earnest Sophie didn't notice he had dropped to one knee and held out a blank pin that resembled a foundation for a family crest.

Sophie clearly shocked by the whole exchange simply pointed to the pin and asked, "what is that?"

"When elves decide to get married they have to decide which family name to keep, a blank Crest is traditionally offered as a way to show everyone a new Union is going to happen and everyone anticipates which name they will take." Fitz explained, nervous that she hadn't given him an answer.

"So you would give up being Fitz Vacker and become Fitz Foster for me?" Sophie asked her face not giving any hint of the emotions she was feeling.

"I would do anything for you, Soohie. It doesn't matter what my name is as long as you and I are together. So will you marry me?" Fitz asked again this time a little less confident.

"Oh Fitz, yes of course I will marry you!" Sophie exclaimed.

Fitz stood and pulled Sophie to her feet, his hands going to her face to pull her towards him, his lips finally touching hers and the intense connection between them felt more powerful than ever. As they pulled away from one another Sophie whispered, "Fitz did you feel that? Do you think it's because we are cognates?"

Fitz nodded and thought for a second. 

"Well I doubt my dad ever kissed Quinlan, but I am sure he can tell us if that is normal when you are in love as much as we are or if it is a cognate thing."