The First Instinct

Start from the beginning

He was running away.

Meanwhile Einar and Garrick were in the latter's room. While Garrick was looking at the chains with curiosity, Einar was trying to figure out a way to get rid of the chains.

"It is fruitless to even try. The more we resist the harder the grip is going to be." said Garrick

"I'm not waiting till sunrise tomorrow, these chains are bothersome. Now be a good friend and bring me an Axe or a Hammer."

"Don't you think we would get a more severe punishment for this. Father has already warned me to stay out of any more trouble while we are on our trial. If we try to break the chains we would be disobeying the Alpha. He would be very angry."

"My Father would be angry only if he knew we broke the chain. He is busy with his pack work and has to go someplace tomorrow, so he won't notice us. Of course uncle Umberto will also join him so you don't have to worry on that account either. Even if he does notice us we'll just say that the chains were faulty." Einar said mischievously winking at Garrick.

As it happened always, Garrick was in two minds to consider the offer from Einar. Though he knew he could land in trouble the thought of getting rid of the chains was lucrative. Garrick brought an axe and a hammer from the storage room to culminate their plan into action. Both the boys tried to break the chains with hammer and axe. But with every stroke the metal glowed and tighten the grip around the boys wrists. Garrick was in agony and pain while Einar realized that these methods are futile.

"Lets go to the kitchen"

Garrick scratched his head "Why?"

"We will try to break it through Fire. It will definitely work".

"I don't know.." Garrick was unsure about this.

"Oh come on! I promise if this doesn't work we will do as you say"

Garrick was reluctant because whenever Einar said this they got in trouble, but he nodded with a sigh cause he knew Einar was stubborn and hot headed. The boys reached the cooking area and spotted the burner. They ignited fire for their experiment and slowly placed their hands horizontally above the fire. When the metal came in contact with fire, it glowed. It heated immensely and started spreading its warmth throughout its length slightly burning the wrists of both the boys.

" Oi..Oi..Oi.." Garrick was brushing air from his mouth to his wrists to soothe the burning effect while Einar pulled his hair in frustration. He did not knew that the metal was enchanted and only a greater power could destroy it. It felt like they were running out of options and so they stepped out of the house and decided to drop the idea. They headed for Arthur's who was the son of the gamma and their friend.

But at this very moment Einar was feeling uneasy. He thought that it was because of the silver but he felt stressed and was on alert like something or someone was harming him; like he was in danger. His heart hammered in his chest while his every instinct pulled him to the forest. Even his Wolf was pacing within him.

"Lets go"

"Where?" Garrick looked confused.

"To the forest.." Einar was now determined to leave.

Garrick widened his eyes. "You know we are forbidden to go to the forest before we turn eighteen. Goddess knows what lies in those woods. We are not properly trained to face real danger. Have you even thought what the Alpha would do to you, hell have you thought what would happen if my father knows about our little adventure. My father would surely kill me!"

But Einar was having a hard time listening to any of the words from Garrick's mouth. With every passing moment his anxiety was increasing. Garrick could feel the inner storm brewing inside his friend; like going to the woods is some sort of compulsion for him, like his life depended on it.
Garrick looked worried for his friend. He had never seen Einar this stressed before. He was behaving weird for his liking.

"Calm down Einar. Your heart is beating fast and you are sweating but we are away from the heat now. What's the matter? Tell me please. Are the chains bothering you?"

Einar had no time to respond. He got hold of Garrick's hand and ran into the forest with no clear destination.

Back in the forest Callan took a nap besides a tree in a little hideout very comfortably. He was exhausted from travelling such a long distance on foot. He opened his eyes to the sound of rustling and movement of bushes. He looked around and saw nobody in particular. He thought it would be wise to keep moving as his father had always warned him about the dangers one may face in this dense forest. He stood up, composed himself and picked up his bag.

Suddenly the ground beneath trembled with an enormous growling sound. Callan closed his grip more tightly, his hair on the back of his neck were risen towards the sky. He gulped and slowly turned his back wishing the creature should not be the one he was thinking it could be. But to his utmost horror Callan took a big gasp of air with wide eyes when he saw what he was about to encounter.

With sweat forming on his forehead he had only one thought in his mind
I shouldn't have left the house

And gathering every ounce of his energy HE SCREAMED...

********

Please don't forget to vote, comment and review.

Stay healthy, stay safe.

Enjoy reading...!