CHAPTER 42

SAVANNAH'S POV:

Cladded in a black dress, I descended the stairs of our house to attend the funeral of my best friend. It felt as if I am walking towards my own end.

Utterly numb and drained, I took Adam's extended hand who took us out towards the car. It was still very much difficult to accept that he is no longer with us.

I felt a crack in my system and hissed at the immense rush of pain it brought. Adam glanced at me worryingly from time to time. My hands were folded in my lap and my eyes were casted straight ahead looking at the road but not looking at the road.

It felt as if somebody took my heart out of my body, crushed it, twisted it and fixed it back.

"Nate do not fight with her. Come we can sit somewhere else." I said to a furious ten year old Nate.

"She is sitting on our swing. She knows we have lunch here everyday." he humphed.

"It is alright. Let her sit there today." I pleaded.

"Fight for your right." he exclaimed.

I laughed at his statement. "You are being childish." I said.

"No. I was standing up for you." he rolled his eyes.

"And I know you always will." I grinned up at him.

Snapping of fingers brought me back and I blinked and looked at Adam who was looking at me in concern once again.

"We are here." he spoke.

I looked to my right side and saw the cemetery. Ashton landed today morning at 8 am.

Wordlessly, I got out of the car with Adam hot on my heels. He has been nothing but understanding ever since yesterday. Giving me space but not enough to let me slip into depression.

I could feel his body heat on my back, radiating off of him but I felt utterly exposed to the chilly winds as soon as I stepped inside the cemetery where the close relatives were standing.

My heart beat quickened and I took a step back colliding with Adam whose arms came to wrap around me protectively.

"I-I do not think I ca-" I started but my voice came out hoarse so I only shook my head.

Adam kissed my temple and spoke lovingly "Babe, come on." he gently took my elbow and tugged me forward.

I gulped and stared ahead before taking a deep breath and finally moving. We came to stop beside Nate's mother who was bawling her eyes out.

"I am sorry for your loss Nora." I spoke quietly.

She looked at me and whatever resolve she had, broke. She enveloped me in a bone crushing hug and sobbed as if her life depended on it. I, too, wrapped my arms around her and rubbed her back.

"I am so sorry Savannah. Please forgive me, child." she cried as she pulled back.

"What?" I frowned.

Before she could speak, Ashton came to my side enveloping me in his strong, muscular embrace.

Throughout the funeral, I kept gazing at his casket. He looked so handsome. He was so handsome. A bitter feeling stirred up inside of me at that thought. The casket was being lowered down the grave and I lost it.

Taking three steps back, I ran from there as fast as I could. My feet had a mind of their own. I heard Adam shouting my name from behind me but I did not stop. Tears were pouring out of my eyes. The wind was blowing my hair in all directions but I did not care at this time.