CHAPTER 20

ADAM'S POV:

"SAVANNAH!" I shouted from the living room.

We're already late for the business gala we had to attend today.

"Sava-" my mouth clamped shut as soon as I saw her entering the living room trying to put her earrings on.

"Sorry." she said as she came closer to me and bent to pick her phone up from the coffee table.

I took that while to notice her outfit. She  was wearing a bluish grey gown with a low V-cut and she looked fucking ravishing.

 She  was wearing a bluish grey gown with a low V-cut and she looked fucking ravishing

"Let's go." I cleared my throat. 

She didn't say anything and started following me. I have noticed that she's been avoiding me lately. Well me too.

The drive to the hotel was awfully silent. She kept her eyes trained on the road ahead of us.

I don't know why I feel the need to protect her, to make sure she's okay. I guess it's the least I can do if I can't love her.

She has enough people to love and care for her.

The car came to a halt and the driver of my limo stepped out to open my door. I rounded the car to open the door for Savannah but she was already getting out.

I frowned and offered her my hand. She looked at it as if it was lava but placed her hand in mine nonetheless. Reluctantly though.

"You're my wife, I expect you to act like that. Be at your best behavior and don't embarrass me." I said sternly to her.

"Smile for the camera." I whispered in her ear and she put on a fake smile immediately as if she was already trained to do so.

It appeared genuine and not forced.

After posing for a couple of pictures, we proceeded to go inside the hotel.

We were greeted by a few business partners and their wives that seemed to throw glares at Savannah but she was oblivious.

So many women would die to be where she is today.

"This is a charity gala?" she asked looking around.

"Yeah." I responded grabbing two glasses of champagne and handing one to her.

"And you are here because?" she asked sipping on the sweet liquid.

"My company donated a considerate amount for an orphanage." I shrugged.

Her mouth formed in an 'o' shape. I excused myself to talk to some business associates.

Donna came to stand next to me and placed her hand on my bicep. I looked down at her due to the height difference and she bit her lip seductively.

My eyes met Savannah's across the room and she rolled her eyes facing away.

Her father sat down next to her on one of the couches and her posture hardened. I, obviously, couldn't hear what they were conversing about but it looked reserved and clipped.