DLDB:59

I left my Dad to deal with the crazy mess Hazel had got her self into, sending him a quick text that I now regret

                 I left my Dad to deal with the crazy mess Hazel had got her self into, sending him a quick text that I now regret. He said he would be back in town to visit for the holidays and that wasn't something I was looking forward too. I can't remember the last time he was home for Christmas. He would step in a few days before keeping up a charming image at charity gala's with a halo on his head portraying a saint. When he was anything but.

I didn't mind Christmas, but at the same time I didn't have spirit for it. Hazel always went all out, decorating the house with jingles bells and bright lights and even a tiny tree we kept on the kitchen counter and once she would get done she wear her candy cane socks an oversized Christmas sweater and act "surprised" when I would hand her a box with a diamond necklace she bought herself just so she could post the video of her reaction on social media. She was a "influencer" " brand ambassador" and that's how she made a living, that and my Dad. Although her parents had other plans for her, college wasn't for Hazel, she barely graduated but some how still ended up with a degree in marketing. When it came to attending graduate school she attending the first 3 days before dropping out even though her parents had already payed for all four years in advanced.

She was there disappointment.

Hazel made a name for her self on social media. And if you look hard enough you'll find her somewhere posting pictures in her Fashion Nova dress.

Mariah Carey's voice floods through the speakers of the mall singing her Christmas classics as I flip through pages of the fashion catalog. I look up from my magazine and around at all the bookworms that sat in bookstore which thick novels in trance at the stories being told.

Well then.

Closing my magazine, I grab a fat ass book off the shelf behind me placing it on the table.

" I didn't know you read Lord of The Rings." Jasper appeared.

He was wearing his glasses again, which something he hadn't wore in a while making him look like a sexy nerd. A grin spreads across his face as he saw me sitting sat the table. He'd been busy, so busy that I hadn't seen him much at school. And figured the only chance I would be able to see him was at his job.

Things had changed since Thanksgiving, but not in a way I had imagined. He'd been distant but ever now and then I got to sneak him away resulting in a few make out sessions under the schools bleachers he would  end up vanishing for the rest of the day saying he had things to deal with at home.

It wasn't ideal. But it was what it was.

" Yeah it's great." I lied hoping that saying I read the book would impress him.

" You always surprise." He said taking a seat next to me.

" That's me full of surprises." I nervously laugh securing praying he doesn't ask me anything else about this book.