Part Forty

The warmth of the Caribbean Sea has never ceased to amaze her. It was what she remembered but she guessed it was even more beautiful this time. She watched her husband take a dip in the clear seawater. He made a few strokes and decided to approach her. She watched him walk towards her. He was shirtless and only wore a pair of board shorts.

"He is gorgeous," Nicole thought. She was unsure why but the entire scene of Ethan walking towards her seems all pretty done in slow motion allowing her to feast her eyes on this beautiful creature she now called husband.

Other curious eyes landed on him, but Ethan was oblivious. His eyes were only focused on one woman who meant the world to him. When he reached her side, he kissed her lips and then kissed her growing belly too as he whispered something Nicole could not decipher.

"I'm glad we came back here..." Nicole said as her eyes roamed around at the beautiful paradise around them. He sat next to her and held her hand.

"There's no other place that I want us to spend our honeymoon with but to go back to where it all started," he stated.

She smiled warmly as her thoughts flashed back after the proposal.

***********************************

Everything was set accordingly for their big day. Her dream of having a garden reception was made a reality when they decided to do it in the manor. The location was perfect and breathtakingly beautiful.

During those times, Nicole noticed she barely saw Eric around, so she called him and asked him to meet up with her, which he openly obliged. They decided to go to a coffee shop.

When Eric arrived, Nicole was already there.

He sat.

"Eric how are you..." She asked.

He smiled and answered. "I'm good, so this it huh? The wedding and all."

She lowered her head and then looked at him straight in the eye. "Eric, I'm sorry for everything. It was not my intention to mislead you, I want you to be happy and..." She was cut off when Eric put his fingertips on her lips.

"Sshhhh... Nicole, I am happy that we will become family. I am happy that you are marrying my brother because I know how the two of you fight for your love in the beginning and I am happy that you are giving me a nephew soon. I am genuinely excited for you and Ethan. I am okay, no hard feelings" he declared.

Nicole was relieved and smiled sweetly. "How do you know it's going to be a nephew? What if it's a niece?" she asked while laughing.

She then stood up and hugged Eric tightly. "I am grateful for everything you did for me; I pray that you will find someone you deserve and more. Be happy always Eric." She whispered; he nodded as he tried to conceal the sadness that was reflected in his eyes that had gone unnoticed.

One time Nicole was about to head back to her office after a luncheon meeting when an unexpected person approached her.

"Can I have a minute?" The woman asked politely.

Nicole watched her but nodded anyway. They sat on the far edge corner of the restaurant.

"Nicole, I am here to apologize for everything, what I did is entirely wrong. I became ambitious and thought that I could have Ethan this time around. I have been very very selfish. I am sorry for causing any trouble. I hope someday that you will learn to forgive me." She looked at her with tears in her eyes.

Lorraine, what you did was something I won't easily forget, but I know that I can start forgiving you now. I am sorry that this happened to us, but I hope that you will soon find the happiness you are looking for" Nicole declared.

The woman burst into tears as she held her hands repeating her words, I'm sorry over and over. She watched her as her heart felt heavy for Lorraine.

************************************

"What are you thinking my love?" Ethan asked, interrupting her thoughts.

Nicole smiled as her attention went back to her husband. "I was just thinking of those times you inflicted pain and heartache on me over and over. You put me through a lot it was way too much" and then she laughed.

But Ethan didn't find that humorous, he remained stoic as sadness clouded his face. He moved closer to her.

"I know and I wish that as the years go by you would learn to forget those little by little," he uttered.

Her laughter was cut off. "Ethan I was joking. There's no better feeling to have you around with me, to be here for me finally. Whatever happened in the past, good or bad, helped us to appreciate each other even more. So, don't feel sorry for it because I wouldn't change anything with our journey, she said with too much emotion.

He embraced her closer and smiled. "Together we will watch our children grow and together we will build a family on our own. I am excited to do all these things with you so whatever happens hold on to me." He then kissed her.

She smiled and nodded. "I will my love. I will..."

Nicole's heart was filled with hope for a bright future ahead of them. She knew it was not going to be easy, but she would go through it if Ethan was there with her. They held each other's hands as they watched the horizon together.

Nicole turned around and saw her husband watching her.

"What?" She smiled.

"I love you, my wife... Let's grow old together, okay?" he whispered.

She smiled and nodded. This was indeed her destiny, and she was genuinely happy...

The End