Part Nineteen

The moment her head hit the sack she realized how tired she was.

She took a bath when she got home and poured herself a glass of wine after she tried to dry her hair, but she decided to stop midway and just thought to go straight to bed instead. She closed her eyes, but Ethan was occupying her mind again. Didn't she move one step in trying to forget him? It was all a lie.

Who would have thought that they'd see each other in that gala? The pathetic thing is, she's back to square one and letting Ethan have power over her again. How can she manage self-control when even a single stare or slight touch from him rushed a million voltage to her senses she can't stop herself from ogling him like she was drawn to him even without trying.

She wanted to be with Ethan, that's an honest realization, but it seems that there's an invincible thread that's keeping them apart. Oh fate, can you just be on our side for once? She thought.

She tried to close her eyes again. This time sleep takes her in completely. She dreamed of the calm blue sea as she was enjoying the heat registered on her face, she was swimming in the endless ocean taking all the contentment in when she realized that the waves started to wash her angrily, the clouds started to form, and heavy rain poured like there was no tomorrow, the horror of the thunderstorm as it flashed right before her eyes willing to engulf her whole, the panic started to settle in as her mind instinctively find a way out from this cathartic dream. When a splash of a massive wave hit her, she was pulled underwater as she struggled to gasp for air, it was futile, she thought. No one can defy nature after all, she slowly released the last air she was holding in and was about to accept her tragic fate when a pair of strong hands grabbed her and aided her to the surface.

"Ethan," she thought. There was a glitter of light behind him buzzing softly emphasizing his unearthly form, his eyes were comforting her, making her focus on it and abandoning the current state of the furious ocean. When they finally reached the surface, a miracle happened as the sky started to clear leaving no traces of the events prior.

"Ethan you are my savior" she murmured in her sleep. She smiled widely as the remainder of her night went by peacefully for her heart was contented.

The next morning Nicole woke up early. She decided to jog and clear her mind. She put on her running shorts and shoes and decided to match them with a white tank top exposing her flat belly. She puts on her earphones and slams her playlist. She was about to head out when she remembered to bring a bottle of water, she quickly took it and trailed her way to the nearest running park.

She noticed that there were only a few people in the park that day, it was less crowded, maybe because it was still a bit early. She inhaled the fresh dew and smiled. The sun was ready to rise as its rays painted the sky brightly. It was a beautiful morning. She stopped for a bit and stretched her legs and arms.

She remained like that for a few minutes when her solitude was interrupted.

"Well... well... well. Another coincidence you say? Who would have thought that I would see you around here again?" A smiling Eric is standing in front of her. "By the way good morning." He added as his smile reached from ear to ear.

"Eric..." she said panting. "What are you doing here?" She asked. He had also been running for a while now since his sweatshirt showed the traces of what he had collected for that day. He looked undeniably charming.

"I had a couple of drinks last night because someone left me without saying goodbye. I was devastated about it, so I am burning it all up now," he said casually.

Nicole blushed at the memory. She ditched him last night without saying goodbye. She was so distracted by Ethan's presence that she forgot about Eric.

"I am so sorry about last night. There was an emergency that I needed to attend to, that's why I left, I am sorry that I did not wait for you to come back. I will make it up to you though..." she lied. Guilt was written all over her face.