Part Fourteen

Nicole stared at the white sheet covering her father's frame, the machine that measures his heartbeat was beeping and it was the only sound vibrating in the entire room. Her father's chest went up and down with the oxygen mask attached to his mouth.

She touched his hand and clasped it. She was saddened to see how her father was in that state right now. Lucas Kent has always been so strong and tough; he was headstrong and ruthless in the business world and not like this. He looked vulnerable and weak.

After landing at the airport, she automatically went to the hospital and checked on her dad. She was devastated about what happened to her father.

The doctors told her that he was already out of danger and that it was a minor heart attack, however, due to his age there could be complications that they were not aware of yet.

She touched her father's forehead and kissed him there. A tear dropped on her cheek momentarily.

"Please be well Dad... it breaks me seeing you like this" she whispered. She moved forward and rested her head in her father's hand. She gently held it.

The next few days, she went to the hospital almost every day. Talking to her father, bringing him flowers, making sure that he was comfortable. On the fifth day of his admission, her father woke up.

She was beyond relieved!

"Dad, how are you feeling?" She asked. Her eyes were teary staring at him. Her father's eyes roamed around the hospital room... trying to contemplate where he was, there were flowers on the bedside table and his gaze landed on Nicole's face.

"Nicole? Is that you??" He asked confused. His eyes narrowed; he was making sure it was her. They had already removed the oxygen mask when his Respiratory Rate went back to normal.

She smiled and nodded "Yes Daddy, it is me. I'm sorry I ran away..." her voice cracked "That must have put you under a lot of stress lately, there's no one else to blame but myself" she whispered.

Her father clasped her hand and turned his head left and right "I was worried about you..." he spoke softly "I'm sorry that you have no choice but to run away. Forgive me... Nicole" her father's voice choked.

She touched her father's arms. "Please, I don't want you to be sick again," she said.

He held her hand and smiled. They talked a little more and after her father yawned, she decided to let him rest. She left the hospital and decided to grab some coffee when she noticed a newly opened shop across the block not far from the hospital.

She decided to check it out.

The place was cozy, it had a cool ambiance, and its centerpieces were pretty sunflowers, she selected a couch near the window to give herself privacy, she was so spent, she thought of getting a massage. The nights of restlessness and inability to sleep have taken their toll. After she asked for a cappuccino and a slice of blueberry cake, she went to the comfort room for a while and checked herself in the mirror.

She looked horrible. She has not gotten enough rest for the past five days and it's evident in her face. She sighed. She tried to add some concealer near the eyes and put on light lipstick. Satisfied, she headed back to her table.

Being away for almost a month has created a lot of sorting in their business, though it was doing fine other matters needed investigation, there were discrepancies on the annual report that was sent to her, and that made her worried. Soon enough, she needs to go back and check everything up. For now, she wanted assurance of her father's safety. Her father and she have not fully discussed the arranged engagement, if that's canceled or if it would push through and she knows that's something that needs to wait until her father recovers completely.

After her coffee was served, she slowly sipped it and went back to reading her emails using her phone when another customer came in. She heard a loud giggle and a familiar voice.

When she looked up to see who it was, she was beyond shock! Her heart pounded faster on her chest. There was sweat forming on her forehead. It was Ethan right in the flesh with a woman who tangled her hands around his arm.

She looked at them for a few seconds before the stabbing pain took place. She felt a pang of jealousy, she wanted to rip off the woman's hand away from Ethan!

She blushed at the thought. She has no right, no right at all. It was a getaway flight and nothing else. Though she was saddened by his departure she never owned him but a part of her hoped that their paths would cross, and things would go back to the way they used to be. She wished! She did not consider that the guy might be committed to someone in real life. A girlfriend or even a wife. But did he fool her? Going back to how Ethan was with her, she can't seem to fathom that he's deceitful. But what does she know anyway? She blamed herself for not asking enough.

She indeed knew so little about him. They never even discussed where they live. Now she knows that they probably are in the same state! She had no idea who he was outside of what they talked about and those moments they spent together; however, the topic of their personal lives had never been brought up and it was funny that at that time it did not matter. 

The woman turned her head around and saw Nicole looking. Her brows raised and then she purposely ignored her. Nicole then realized that she was staring with disdain, and she then dropped her gaze to calm herself.

After they paid for their coffee the two souls went out of the coffee shop and Nicole never felt relieved. She was worried that Ethan would spot her and noticed how broken she was while he was enjoying comfort from someone else.

Bawling my eyes and missing you badly after you left, what an ass... So, it never phases you Ethan, good job! She thought to herself.

Life has never been fair, newsflash! She bit her lower lip. She had been played for a fool but then again, she allowed him to do that to her.

But maybe she was just a friend? And I misjudge Ethan? Another voice in her head reasoned out.

She suddenly felt an impending headache. "I don't know what to believe anymore but I have no time to be weak either. I am Nicole Kent regardless of the truth I won't allow Ethan to use me as his laughingstock" she thought.

She would get even with him, and it would be entertaining.

No more crying. No more for Ethan.

She stood up and went out of the shop with full determination. This time it would be her turn. She promised. 

A Beautiful Lie (COMPLETED)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें