Chapter 30

let the monsters see you smile

Chapter Thirty:

Paige took her first steps deep in the snow. She shivered against her coat, feeling the cold, harsh memories of her past that was inflected onto her body. She shook them off has harsh winds blew through her hair.

She glanced back, seeing a large group of her pack walking behind her. She could already see some struggling with the cold.

Pathetic. Really?

Egor walked up to her, sensing Paige's anger. "Newborns tend to be weaker than humans in the beginning. It's why we have the red moon. The older vampires hunt, and bring food back for the younger ones."

Paige snarled, her eyes glowing. "Wolves have much simpler lives, don't they?"

Egor shrugged his shoulder. "They have complicated parts too."

Paige shook her head, her ears suddenly catching paws hitting the ground, heading in the opposite direction. The scent told her they were a couple warriors with a large group of regular members.

"Keep the pace, don't slow down." She growled before running into the snowy winds.

Her eyes caught sight of a light grey wolf tying to catch up with the small group. Paige knew she past a pack, but if one wolf gave a warning, they would start to send on the opposite direction. They would head into a large group of new vampires. They better fight to the death.

She pounced. The wolf yelled, fear lacing it's eyes. Two warriors quickly acted, charging at Paige, who couldn't shift into a wolf in her human body.

The light grey was died, blood pouring from its neck. The snow became a crimson color, and the new grass under it would be water with the blood of a dead wolf.

Paige grabbed the first warrior, quickly ripping it's ear off as she threw it across. The other one went low, missing the swipe of Paige's claws.

Paige felt a stinging pain on her ankle, and when she looked down, the second warrior tug her teeth deep into her skin shaking it's head.

Three warriors joined them, and the other two took the small group and quickly went for an escape. The journey for the safety point was a hard long path, and natural predators would hunt and kill.

Paige grabbed the warrior on her ankle, snapping its neck. She stood up, growling at the three coming at her from the front. She turned around, snarling at the one coming from behind.

They all froze. Their legs shaking as they waited.

Paige sighed, "It's your choice, really."

One stepped forward, growing. The warrior shook it's head, refusing to be apart of this.

Paige smirked, "Anybody? I'm guessing you aren't joining. It's a chance of a life time." She shook her head, laughing. Come on, little warriors. How much do you value your life?

No wolf showed any sighed of joining, making Paige chock on her laughter. "Die with the rest of your disgusting kind."

They were all dead in a matter of seconds. She went for the one eared wolf, biting it's face off. The body was unrecognizable. The legs torn from their limbs, and its claws stuck into its skin.

While she was over the dead wolf, another warrior jumped onto her back. Paige quickly dropped, using her body weight to crush the wolf's ribs. She then dig her fingers into it's ribcage, pulling its ribs from the body. Blood splattered everywhere.

Easy, it's just too easy. Both wolves and vampires are weak.

She turned to face the other two, who both lowered their heads, whining. Paige raised her eyebrow, feeling weak bonds forming into her head.

The female warrior whimpered. Please Moon Goddess, please save our pack and kind.

Paige snarled, taking her left foot and stomping down on one of the warriors. The wolf crumbled, it's leg breaking from the pressure.

She sighed, before quickly killing the two.

She looked onto the dead bodies. Why even make an army of weak soldiers? They would be useless in the end, but they would save me a lot of time.

She jogged back, her ankle healed on the outside, but on the inside she felt her human body crumbled.

I need to inject the green blood into myself more.

She smiled when she saw the vampires put up a fight against the fleeing wolf pack. Weak, but managing. Her smiled widened when she saw fire burning the houses. Nothing but a memory.

She walked towards the houses, not even concern about getting burn. She heard a whimper inside, and she walked through the flames.

Under the table, a little girl cried, coughing from the heavy smoke. "Daddy! Mommy!" She was the little girl the Alpha from the meeting swore to protect, but he had already died from the hands of two wolves and five vampires. His head on a stick to give to Paige.

"It's sad, isn't it?"

The little girl looked up, her face covered in ash.

"The people you thought would protect you, never really there in the end." Paige's threw the coffee table. The girl was around eight or nine, clearly unable to protect herself. "What's your name?"

"Celeste Anastasia Digger."

Paige nodded her head. "I guess Disney movies really do come true." She smiled, "Shall we leave this behind us?"

Celeste grabbed her head, following Paige out of the burning house. Her eyes looked around for her pack and family, but everything was destroyed.