Chapter 4

monsters are real, ghost are real too. they live inside of us, and sometimes they win

stephen king

Chapter Four:

The sun came out from behind the clouds, finally showing itself in the sky. Paige was surprisingly not in her lab, instead she was visiting Sage.

She knocked on her apartment door, waiting for Sage to answer it, which she did a couple minutes later. "Hunter! She's fine!" Sage frozen when she saw Paige staring at her with an eyebrow raised. Oh shit...

"Who's fine?" Paige asked, her mind was completely blanked. "Does Hunter have a girlfriend or something?"

"No..." Sage shook her head, opening the door wider for her. "What brings the youngest Kill to my small home?"

Paige shook the unanswered question off, and entered into the living room. It was just like it was last time she came in here, except the light bulbs were a different style.

Even with Sage being a hunter, her apartment was small. There were two bedrooms, one bathroom, one living room, and one kitchen. There was a couch leaning against the wall, and some plants around the room.

Paige smirked when she saw garlic handing from the ceiling. Sage would always have garlic on her — for battle or for food.

"I was wondering if I could see some of your reports on vampire blood," Paige asked, closing the door behind her. "And I want the blood that is no longer has purpose."

Sage looked at her, weirdly. Blood that had no value? What is she doing? She only shook her head, knowing that Paige was on a mission. She remember a lot of normal qualities of Paige before Alaska; one of them was dedication. If Paige was in to something, she would stay on to it till the very end.

"I guess I have a couple bottles of them left."

Sage went into the kitchen, pulling a gallon of milk out. "Want some?"

"Thanks," Paige nodded her head, grabbing two cups for Sage. "Anyways, you said something about 'she's fine' and 'Hunter.' What's that all about?"

"Paige," Sage handed a cup of milk to her. Paige glanced down it, and the milk felt off. "It's none of your concern. Hunter does random things all the time."

Paige ignored her, "Do you smell that?" Paige looked around the room, attempting to locate the smell.

"Smell what?" Sage stared at her, clearly showing her worries in the girl who was still on a long journey for her recovery. "Paige, honey, how about you go lie down on the couch."

It's the milk. Paige glanced up at Sage, who slowly brought the cup towards her red lips. She would be too late to reach her in time. Instead of grabbing the cup, she dropped her's. They both froze, watching the glass cup fall to the ground.

"Paige!" Sage set her glass down on the counter, not drinking a drop. Paige moved swiftly towards her, grabbing her shoulders and stepping over the glass.

"Who's after you?" She mused. Paige grabbed her, forcing her to face her. "Answer me."

"What? Paige, what the hell are you talking about?" Sage yelled, pushing Paige back into the living room.

"The milk was poisoned. That's why it was smelling weird." Paige answered, letting Sage push her back. "What's happening? Someone's trying to kill you, and Hunter is always worried.

"I'm not underage anymore, Sage, and I want to be inside the loop."

Sage sighed, shaking her head. "Hunter is worried about you. He's afraid you are going to get hurt again. I attacked a vampire and he escaped. Simple, yeah?"

"That vampire is most likely the cause of the milk, meaning his here." Paige snapped, looking around the room. She didn't catch anything off, but that didn't mean that there wasn't.

"I have it under control."

"Yeah, I'm sure the poison would agree with you in your stomach," Paige snickered. "Move in with Hunter."

"What?" Sage asked dazed, staring at Paige. "Paige, nothing is going to happen to me."

Paige rolled her eyes, "Fine. Drop the blood off tomorrow." She brushed her friend off before storming out. I'll make my own loop.

"Paige!" Sage quickly ran after her, "What are you doing with the blood?"

"Sorry, I don't think you need to know that."

Sage smirked, "Then I'm not going to give you the blood." Tell me what your hiding, Kill.

"Ok, be that way." Paige slammed the door, walking down the stairs and out of the apartment building.

"Hey, you heard about the Alaska kidnapping two years ago?" Paige growled softly at a group talking. "That's the girl, Paige Kill." She sent a glare at them before walking away.

"Really? That's Paige Kill. I thought she would have more scars." A girl laughed back, watching Paige leave.

If there was one thing Paige hated, it was talking about any Kill in front of her, negative or positive. I am a person and deserve to have a private life.

Her rage gripped her knife, one she always carried around. It was in her pant pocket. She couldn't stop. She turned on the balls of her feet and threw a knife at the girl's shoulder.

Everyone froze.

"I suggest that you keep your mouth shut," Paige snarled. Nobody moved against her. They wasn't anything you could do. She was a Kill; and if she was anything like her parents, she could kill you in a second. "I'm quiet done with hunters like you. Do your job."

She walked out, heading towards her new research lab after ripping the knife out of the poor girl's shoulder.