Episode sixteen

S1:Ep16 and they were roommates

-

There was a lot that came with thanksgiving at my house. There was the drunk uncle Jesse, stripper looking aunt Kendra, slightly homophobic uncle Henry, and then it was us. Probably the most sane of our family and most non republican. My uncles tended to be more red than blue, which I wasn't surprised about. This was Missouri. Anyhow, luckily nothing dramatic has happened since we've been here but now the real test came.

"Okay, everyone at the table." My dad said as he clapped his hands. "Time to eat!"

I walked slowly besides Jasmine as I tried to warn her. "Listen, if anything is said about me do not speak up. When Henry gets drunk, he just lets everything lose, okay?" She gave me a look and I huffed, knowing she could be a stubborn little bitch. "I'm serous, Jas. Feeding into it only makes him talk more."

"Okay," she sighed with her hands up. "I'll be a washed down Latina tonight." I snorted and pulled the chair out for her. "Thank youu."

I nodded and sat besides her. When I looked up, I saw Vivian pulling out the chair right across for me out for.. guess who. I took in a quiet deep breath as my nerves flared up. Now I had to stare at her for maybe forty minutes tops. Fuck fuck fuck fuck-

A hand suddenly landed on my thigh, stopping my leg from bouncing. I gulped as Jasmine leaned over to whisper into my ear. "Keep your composure, you're fine. If you feel like you need to look somewhere just look at me." I nodded softly and gave her a thankful smile, my anxiety with this whole situation going down a notch.

When I raised my head, Vanessa wasn't looking at me or Vivian, she was looking at Jas. She titled her head in seemingly confusion before now meeting my eyes. She hummed softly then looked away. Oh this was going to be hell. I could already see it.

"Okay, I'd like to make a toast." My dad said as he stood up at the head of the table. We all grabbed our glasses, champagne, red wine, or apple cider. On occasions like these, my mom allowed Viv and I to drink one glass of champagne for the dinner but we usually just snuck a bottle upstairs when the adults got drunk enough to bypass our skeptical behavior. "A toast to my wonderful family and another wonderful year together. I thank God everyday for being blessed with my beautiful wife of twenty one years and my two amazing daughters who achieve new heights everyday. To love and family."

"Cheers." Everyone said and clanked their glasses together but I just downed the hatched 'cause why not. "Yep, she's definitely been in college." Sam mumbled with a smirk in my direction and I shushed her.

"Speaking of college, how is Stanford?" Uncle Henry asked and I wanted to rip my ears out. He was already starting in on me and we haven't made our plates yet goddamit.

"It's great unc. I love it out there." He nodded and sipped on his beer. "How's the plant?"

My dad winced and shook his head softly. Henry slammed his drink on the table harshly before spitting out, "Goddamn plants closing down for some new stuff. Apparently Kansas City needs yet another mega mall. I tell you, you liberals are starting to control everything."

I shifted uncomfortably as he stared at me silently during the entire duration of his speech like I had something to do with a mega mall being built. "Oh uh I- I'm sorry to hear about that." He continued to stare. Ugh fuck please someone-

"What plant did you work for?" I heard a new voice speak up and I snapped my head to Vanessa in shock.

Henry looked over at her, then me, then back at her before speaking. "Nuclear plant. Been there for fifteen some years now."