Chapter Thirty-Three| Trepidation

This was not how Lucia imagined her morning to go.

Standing in a hospital room with two detectives, holding a cup of coffee that was undoubtedly cold as the three of them stared at the unconscious body on the bed.

It was a gut churning sight.

Dried blood coated over the young hero's face, his chest bare except for the markings carved deep in his flesh.

The lone survivor of an attack during a late night street patrol.

An unfortunate incident.

"They found his partner laid out on the street in front of him, killed by his own quirk."

"How do you know for sure it was his own?" She managed to tear her eyes away just in time to catch Naomasa's glance.

"The hero had a steel quirk, which he impaled himself with after doing the same to his partner here." He spoke solemnly as they all gazed back down at the body.

Having enough, Lucia turned away with a deep frown.

"Where were they found?"

"Just outside of the city. Not quite where we were expecting any activity to take place, that's for sure."

"And you're sure it's him?" She peeked back at them from over her shoulder, despair flickering in her sunken eyes.

The two detectives gave each other a glance before looking back at her.

"It matches with the information you've given us so far, but, we still need to hear the other side of the story once he wakes."

A scoff echoed throughout the room.

"What more could you possibly need to look into? The evidence is all right there!"

"Lucia..I know how frustrating the situation is for you—"

"Do you really?" The question came out firm..almost menacing. Her sunken eyes flared between the two men once she turned herself back around.

She nearly looked crazed, like she hadn't slept in weeks.

Which was the utmost truth, she couldn't remember the last time she had gotten a full nights rest. The days have been growing longer, almost tauntingly so.

Her questions still yet to be answered.

"My niece was kidnapped. Taken by her deranged sister and as for my nephew, well, I haven't heard from him in over two weeks. For all I know he could be in serious trouble but I can't say for sure, because I'm stuck here waiting on you two to do your damn job!"

The words were out before she could process. Shame quickly following in tow as the two detectives silently stared, what was she becoming?

"I—I'm sorry.."

"Don't beat yourself up Lucia," Naomasa smiled tightly. "Why don't you take the next few days off and recoup, maybe spend some time with your niece."