Chapter Thirty-One| Culpability

"Idiots!"

A bolt of darkness managed to shatter something, making Spaz jump in fright. Akuma was fuming, her hands bawling into fists. To think she could trust those halfwits.

"W-We can still get her back, it's n-not too late!"

"How stupid can you possibly be?" her face contoured with wickedness as she snarled at the henchman. He nervously gulped, shaky legs slowly guiding him backwards when she took a step forwards.

"Have you forgotten how intense the security was when she was away? How do you think it's going to be now that they have her?!"

"I-I--!" The frail man was so frightened that he was unable to form any words. Infuriated, a dark tendril snaked itself around his neck, yanking him closer towards her.

She stared at him peculiarly, studying his twitching features with a tilt of her head. The man was still a trembling mess, his eyes widening as he watched a strand of her hair fall only to reveal a nasty glare.

"Worthless," He gave a grunted wheeze, skin slowly paling as the tendril casually tightened its hold. "If you had done your job correctly by not getting captured by my traitorous aunt, then perhaps I would've retrieved her sooner rather than save your ass."

Spaz's feet were kicking frantically, hands trying to grip at the shadow as he desperately fought for consciousness. It felt like hours, his struggle for air. Thankfully before darkness consumed his vision, he was harshly dropped to the floor, gasping at the oxygen his lungs were now able to possess.

"You're not gonna get her back, not unless you expose yourself." A new voice had spoken up, a voice that sent a twitch in Akuma's right brow. Yoru's gaze was towards the floor, body hunched over as he adjusted the shackles that gripped his wrists.

They had gone raw after days of tugging, he wasn't even sure what time of day it was anymore. He had been locked down in the warehouse after being discovered, the truth of his betrayal now out in the open.

He remembered the wounding expression his twin gave when he was dragged there; and the pain that followed after. It broke her, knowing that the one person she had left to rely on was conspiring behind her back.

Spaz was still coughing and heaving on his knees when Akuma made her way towards her twin. A deep frown displayed across her face. The silence shattered with a pained cry, her tendril had pierced an open wound on his shoulder.

"Why are you trying to protect her?" Saying it aloud only broke her further.

Yoru shot a glare up at her, a thin line of drool falling as he spoke through gritted teeth.

"All our lives we were made to do wrong. Now I have the chance to do right this time."

"To do right? Have you forgotten what she did?!"

"Don't give me that shit Akuma, you know very well if you had the opportunity like she did you would've taken it."

"Not by myself I wouldn't, she's nothing but a selfish, worthless being." The tendril retracted when she turned, a relieved sigh falling from her brothers lips when she did. Spaz was back on his feet, jumping slightly when he felt her eyes on his.