Chapter Twenty-Six| The Ambush

It was the end of day three of training, and rather than cleaning ourselves up and heading to bed after dining, most of us were gathered outside to partake in the test of courage.

Which sucked for me because I really wasn't a fan of getting scared.

"Alright, class B will be the first to be scarers. Class A will leave in pairs every three minutes. There are tags with your names written on them in the middle of the route, so bring those back with you.

Those being the scarers aren't allowed to make direct contact, show us how scary you are with your quirks."

"Oh that's just wonderful." An annoyed groan had slipped out, causing Todoroki to glance over from beside me.

"Not a fan of getting scared?"

"Of course not, who enjoys getting scared?" He gave a shrug when I had leaned over to whisper, making sure that nobody around us could hear my complaint.

Last thing I want is for the other students to learn of my discomfort, that'll surely make me their target.

"Now! You'll draw lots to determine your partners!" Pixie Bob gave a cheerful shout as she held up a handful of paper strips, allowing all of us to line up and grab one.  For some reason I felt rather nervous, not just because we were about to walk into the woods to get scared, but because I was somewhat hoping to team up with Todoroki.

Out of everyone here he seemed to be the most reliable one to ease my nerves.

But what if I don't get him? What if I end up getting someone like Katsuki? Last time the two of us were on a team things didn't go very well.

I was snapped out of the joyless memory when a piece of paper was shoved into my hands, the number eight written over it. My head quickly snapped over towards Todoroki, who silently observed his own piece.

"Which team are you on?" My beating heart felt as if it had deflated when he lifted the paper before me, a big two written over it.

Perhaps I was being too hopeful.

Though saddened by the discovery, my ears had perked up when I heard Midoriya's cheerful voice speak up behind me.

"Looks like we're a team again!" He was beaming up at me with the matching number in his hand, making me form a grin of my own.

"Seems like the odds are in our favor, well, other than the fact that we're going last." That last part had came out a lot softer once I noticed a figure coming up from behind the freckled boy.

A figure that had only made me roll my eyes.

Here we go.

"Hey, Deku! Switch with me!" Katsuki had harshly spun him around as he gestured back at Todoroki, who just silently watched the whole thing.

Wow, the two of them on a team? That's almost as bad as him and Midoriya teaming up.

"You can't just switch just because you don't like your partner." I had managed to catch his attention when I pulled Midoriya back by my side.