Chapter Thirty-Two| Rivalry

Heavy breathing.

A ramping pulse.

The floorboards beneath her feet groaned with every step, her feeble body trembling as she neared the corner. Every cell in her body screamed for her to turn around, to run away from the dangers that lurked beyond the wall.

Yet she couldn't find it in herself to do so.

Her eyes were entranced by the liquid that pool below her, a crimson puddle.

It wasn't until she fully crept into the room that a shrill scream broke out, feet now stumbling away from the still, misshapen corpse on the floor.

You were trying hard to focus on the disturbing scene, but the soft crunching of popcorn was the cause to your distraction.

Katsuki was glaring to your right, watching closely as Shouto continuously grabbed handfuls of popcorn from the bowl in your lap.

To think that the three of you were sitting and watching a scary movie together was surreal.

Let alone getting along, even if it was through silence.

The frightened woman on the screen was running now, her head frequently looking back at the serial killer lurking not too far.

You were really getting into it when your hand started fishing for some popcorn, but a sudden brush against your skin had caused your body to jolt.

"Scared already huh?" There was a very faint, wry smile playing at Shouto's lips when he pulled a handful of popcorn up to his mouth.

That taunting grin alone sent your heart fluttering, but somehow you miraculously managed to fight off your blush with a playful scoff.

"Yeah right, I don't get scared that easily."

"Right, your eyes are always naturally wide with fear."

"Hey!"

He couldn't hold back his grin when your hand playfully shoved his shoulder, but before he could further continue his teasing, a sudden forceful hand made its way into the bowl of popcorn.

"Would you two shut the hell up?!"

Katsuki was glaring daggers when he shoved the handful of popcorn in his mouth, his jaws furiously chomping away. It was practically impossible not to laugh at the sight of him, he was a spitting image of an angry chipmunk.

Nothing about his demeanor seemed threatening in the slightest, not when his cheeks were all puffed out like that.

Adorable.

"Sorry.." His glare had softened when you mumbled an apology, your attention now solely focused on the movie.

Well that was unexpected, he thought you'd give him some sort of smart ass remark.

Not a soft apology.

A moment or so had gone by, a cool draft had pricked your flesh with goosebumps; a telltale sign of your chillness. You were in the motion of reaching for the blanket behind the couch when your sling knocked into the popcorn bowl, ultimately spilling the snack all over the cushion and floor.