Chapter 43

Hope you guys enjoy the chapter

Make sure you vote

Chapter 43

"So where do you think she might be?" Jackson asks starting the car. She surely isn't back at the club. I assume she's done with school... right? Maybe she's back home

"I think I know where she is," I say. Telling Jackson my address, the long ride starts.

"It'll be alright," he assures me slightly squeezing my thigh.

No, it won't... I have to explain to Bonnie and my mom everything. I have to tell them where I went. Why I disappeared from the face of the Earth with no warnings. I have to explain to Bonnie why I was shooting at strangers in the middle of a strip club.

Hell, I have to explain who Jackson is. My leg starts to shake uncontrollably with each passing house. "Jackson I can't do this," I muster out. "Turn around, I can't do this."

"Yes, you can Brooklyn," Jackson says looking over at me.

"I can't Jackson. What if my mom has a heart attack when she sees me? I'm scared Jackson. I'm so fucking scared." The car starts to feel hot. I roll down the window and stick my head out. The cool air hits my face.

"Do you feel better?" Jackson asks.

Sitting back in the chair, I shake my head. "No, not at all. Are you hungry? I'm pretty hungry."

"Brooklyn, calm down. It's gonna be alright." My leg continues to jump uncontrollably now even faster than before.

Jackson grabs my thigh with one hand and holds the steering wheel with the other. He squeezes my leg, "it's gonna be alright." Jackson says.

His hand is warm and comforting. This small gesture alone calmed me. Resting my hand onto his, I feel slightly better. His hand stays there the entire time.

That hand gives me security and a bit of reassurance. And I needed that more than ever right now.

The houses we pass become even more familiar. "Jackson we're almost there" Knots begin to form in my stomach. "I think I'm about to puke."

Jackson stops the car and we're here. I'm home.

The familiar place I took my first steps. Spoke my first words and the place I watched my little sister come home to. "Stay here," I tell him.

"You sure," he says staring at me. His eyes are full of concern for me. I must look scared out of my mind.

"Yeah, I'm sure."

Opening the car door. I step outside looking up at the one-story brick home. It seemed bigger years ago.

Alright Brooklyn, just walk forward. Clenching my fist I take the first step towards the dark house.

Fifteen more steps Brooklyn, it will be fine. That familiar hand that was on thigh earlier meets my hand. Jackson's hands intertwined with mine.

"You looked like you needed a little help walking to the door." I squeeze Jackson's hand tighter. Jackson returns the squeeze ensuring me he won't let my hand go.

Jackson takes the first step and I follow. Looking down at the path to the front door we're moving way too fast.

"Jackson I-"

"We're here Brooklyn. Look up," he says.

I'm at the front door. All I have to do is knock on the door and I'm gonna be inside the house. I'm gonna see my mom again.