6| Sake

Chapter 6

The sushi shop that Jackson recommended is a small hole in the wall close to my apartment. I bet he found it when he was going through my panty drawer. The shop seems to be like walking to Japan. On the rare occasions, I went there, the restaurants all looked like this.

There are pictures on the walls that seem to be families-paintings of Sakura's attack my eyes at every turn. But the main difference is that it isn't as packed as Japanese restaurants. Everyone has their own space, large enough for my conversation with Jackson not to be heard from an unsuspecting person.

"What do you think?" Jackson asks, "it's pretty nice here, right?"

I took it upon myself as soon as we were seated to order a tray of shrimp tempura. My glass is filled with Sake, a drink that is not that common in America. I noticed the side glance when I asked for it. It's 5'o o'clock somewhere in the world.

Besides, he's been stalking me. He knows I can't pass up a drink.

"It's fine." I stick my fork into sushi and put it in my mouth. This sushi is pretty good. I should order more.

Jackson stares at me as I chew. "What?"Is there something on my face?

"You're using a fork?"

"Yeah," I shrugged. "I don't know how to use chopsticks. What of it?"

He covers his mouth that I know is itching to smile. "It's just weird watching someone eat sushi without chopsticks."

"Well, I guess I'm weird then," I say, continuing to chew my delicious sushi.

"So, no one showed you how to do it? How to use chopsticks?"

"No."

"How come you can catch knives midair but can't use chopsticks?" I refill my glass with sake. I take a long sip and repeat the process again. My body warms a little.

"I don't know! Are we going to start talking about what I know, or are you going to keep questioning me about chopsticks?"

I take another sip. The sake has a sweeter taste to it than my usual alcoholic choices. "Right," Jackson pulls out his phone and starts recording.

"You're recording me?"

"Yeah. I want to have a backlog of everything."

I take another sip of my sake. Man, this is good. Jackson finally takes a sip of his own drink and grimaces. "What's wrong?"

"Too sweet."

"Really? I think it tastes amazing. What do you usually drink?"

"I personally prefer Whiskey. I never tried Sake before, and you looked like you were enjoying it, so I thought it was good. But I was wrong. This is way too sweet." He takes a sip of his water, followed by a clearing of his throat. "Alright, so where did you meet Rodrigo?"

"Shouldn't you know this already? You were stalking me."

"I did have other things to do there. You were just one of my tasks."

"Whatever, well, I first met him when I went undercover at The Red Apple."

"The Red Apple?"

"Yeah, I went undercover there and caught his eye after a few weeks. He liked to hold meetings or parties in the private rooms there."

"A private room?" I take a sip of the Sake. God, is he dumb? Has he never been to a strip club before?

"You know," I gestured. "A private room, where men get lap dances or a personal show. He requested me twice, and then after the second time, I went back to a hotel room and killed him."