4| Acquaintances

Chapter 4

Why is he here? Why is he here? Why is he here?

Everyone here is a trained assassin with useful specialties, well, except Katherine. He's just some goofy guy who watches cat videos for fun. There's no way he could be a trained assassin. There must be a mistake, some big mistake as to why he is here.

Maybe he is the janitor or our social media guy. But why would we need that? It's not like we need it. We're the number one assassination group right now, or at least that's what the boss told us.

The Boss is silent when Jackson walks in. "Jackson, it's always nice to make your acquaintance."

I see him reach for his pocket. Well, this will really show who he is. I watch him pull the knife slowly. One moment it's in The Boss's hand; next, it's hurled towards Jackson. I fight back my urge to say watch out, or there's a knife being hurled towards you.

Jackson surprises us all by catching it without any effort at all. So, he's not a bumbling fool. But I'm not impressed. I can catch knives in my sleep. But, strangely enough, rather than yell like I expect him to do.

He merely smiles and says, "same," not at all acknowledging what had just happened.

Jackson pockets the knife and keeps a smile on his face. It's not nearly as big as the smile he had when I told him of my preference for dogs. It's cocky like he's not in the slightest bit intimidated by Boss.

Like our boss is insignificant.

I can't get a read on him. With a better view of his body, I can tell he's no stranger to the gym. He's not like the overly muscular guys, but I know that there are some semblances of abs under that button-down. But the thing about Jackson is his eyes.

They look kind of like he couldn't hurt a fly.

I shake my head. No way someone like him could kill people for a living. He doesn't give off that vibe. Either he's a master actor or an idiot.

To be completely honest, he looks like a fucking realtor.

The Boss looks as though steam is about to come out of his ears. When he gets like this, no one is safe. The act of throwing knives at us is nothing. I can recount the last time someone came late. He pushed them out of a window. Luckily, they fell in a dumpster, but we're in a fucking skyscraper and let's say that was their last day working here.

"Now, before I was rudely interrupted, let us start. Shall we?"

Jackson turns his full attention to us. I can see his one smug smile turn into a much bigger one when his eyes land on me. Please do not sit next to me. Do not sit next to me!

Jackson takes the empty seat next to me and doesn't bother looking at The Boss as he speaks.

He smiles. I'm starting to think it must hurt at this point. While he smiles, I frown at his radiance.

"Hi there. It must be fate keeping us together."

"Don't act like you didn't expect me to be here," I whisper low enough not to disturb The Boss. "You knew I worked here, didn't you? That's why you wanted to take that taxi with me." A random guy that I just happen to work with, without my knowledge, convinces me to take a taxi with him.

That would be too much of a coincidence.

There's no way that he couldn't have known about me.

He just so happens to be there at that time to take a taxi with me. New York is a big place with apartments that are even closer. Why the hell was he there right outside of my apartment. How long had he been outside? How long had he been watching me?