don't touch her

C H A P T E R  F I F T Y - F O U R

"I just called the father." Kyle whispered, standing at the edge of the wall that lead into the room Carter and Jamie were in. Carter was curled into Jamie's side, scared as she looked up at Kyle.

In her hands she tightly clutched onto oily McDonald's chips. Jamie held up the box for her while he looked up at Kyle. He gulped, trying not to be obvious, "And?"

"I feel so bad for him, he sounds so..."

"Broken." Jamie finishing for his brother, remembering the ache he'd felt in his chest when first heard Nolan's voice.

Carter was trying to listen in on the conversation but she kept getting distracted as she reached for more chips. Jamie spared her glance, "When is he coming?"

Kyle sighed, "David just arrived, the father should be on his way."

Jamie nodded, waiting for his brother to leave before turning to Carter who stared up at him, "Your daddy's coming soon, ok? So, when I tell you something, I need you to listen to me very carefully."

Carter immediately nodded, not taking note of Jamie's small smile as he watched her shove more chips into her mouth.

"Well, looks like having a rich daddy didn't work out so well."

Jamie tensed at the sound of David's voice and curled an arm around Carter as if that would protect her. Carter's head snapped up at the voice and let out a small whimper, almost crawling into Jamie's lap as she tried to get as far away from David as she could get.

"Take her." David smirked, whispering to one of the guys at his sides and Jamie's eyes widened. Jumping up when the guy stepped forward to take her.

Carter screamed, wrapping her arms around Jamie's neck as he stood. His arms immediately came around her frame, "Don't touch her." He sneered, taking a few steps backwards.

David scowled, "I'll do whatever I want with her." Jamie cringed before turning towards the man that had tried reaching for her. He came forward again and Jamie jumped away, almost sighing in relief when Kyle called out that the father had arrived.

It was all going to be ok.

Another ear piercing scream had him jumping back, eyes snapping towards Carter who was being pulled from his neck. He gasped, pushing against the guy. "I said don't touch her!" Jamie called out, raising a fist and punched whatever part of the man he could reach before jumping further away from the man.

He placed Carter on her feet, glancing over his shoulder towards Kyle who was talking with a tall man with brown hair. Jamie wondered for a second where Nolan was but he didn't really care at the moment. He needed to get Carter to that back door. "We have to be quick—"

Carter gasped, crying out when a hand grabbed her and a body tackled Jamie to the ground. "You stupid fucking idiot." The man above Jamie grunted and raised a fist to punch Jamie when Smith turned towards the scene. Eyes wide, he raced towards him and tacked the man from above him.

Jamie said up coughing before turning his gaze towards David who was shaking Carter violently as she screamed. Jamie turned towards her, jumping up on unsteady feet as he lunged at David.

"Run, Carter!" He screamed out and she didn't have to be told twice as she ran towards the back door Jamie had showed her. Her breaths came out in pants and she couldn't hear anything above her beating heart. She turned around once, screaming when she saw one of David's men chasing after her.

She wasn't going to make it, she knew she wouldn't. Her little legs weren't carrying her towards the door as fast as it should.

All she wanted was to see her daddy.

The man was gaining up on her and she didn't know if she should hide in the tires or risk it all and continue it towards the door.

The man was a few feet behind her and was gaining on her fast. Carter tried to pick up her pace but she was tiring out fast, her little legs starting to wobble.

Carter huffed, she didn't remember the door being this far away and when it was finally in her reach. Carter cried out, her little fingers curling around the edge of the door to pull the rusty thing open but she was too weak. It barely opened before she huffed again.

She was silently crying as she tugged again harder, eyes wide when she saw the man right above her. Smirking as he reached down to take a hold of her and she screamed. Her throat crying out as she strained her voice.

She turned to run again, knowing that door would save her only to gasp when she was lifted by the collar of her swim wear before she shoved to the ground again violently when something big had tackled the man who had grabbed her.

She whined out, rolling over on the floor to see what had happened and through blurry eyes, she tried to make out the two figures grunting on the ground and the familiar sight of golden blonde hair.