you messed up big time

C H A P T E R  F O R T Y

"And she drew this ring." Miles mumbled, showing his hand to his father before shuffling around on Landon's lap to look down the hall when he heard a small sound. Carter had yet to come from the bathroom and Miles still wanted to play with her.

Hearing the shuffling getting louder, Miles grinned as Carter came running up towards him in just her Frozen themed pajamas dress. Instead of smiling like he was, Carter was pouting. Crashing into Landon's thigh before staring up at him with wide eyes.

Landon's heart broke and he immediately lifted the small girl onto his lap and ran his fingers through her wet hair, "What's wrong, kid?"

Carter sniffled, raising her small hand to show Landon, "Daddy wash off my ring." Turning to Miles, Carter pouted, "Can't be wife anymore."

Miles shrugged, "Still your husband."

Carter smiled, eyes brightening, "Really?"

Miles nodded, taking a hold of Carter's arm and moving her so they both sat comfortably on Landon's lap. Landon chuckled, wrapping his arms around the two and kissing both of them a top their head.

Glancing up when he heard curses coming from the hallway, Landon chuckled when he noticed how wet Nolan was, "What happened to you?"

Nolan growled, "Someone's little princess wouldn't sit still while I washed her."

Landon chuckled, watched as Nolan stepped closer towards him. Holding out his hands, "Come, princess. Let me dry your hair."

Carter glanced up at Nolan before huffing. Turning her head away from him dramatically before crossing her small arms over her chest.

Landon grinned, eyes wide in shock as he watched Carter ignore her father. "My, my, this is the first time Carter had ever been angry with you." Chucking, Landon smirked towards his best friend, "You messed up big time."

Nolan grumbled, flipping his friend off before kneeling down next to Landon's thigh that Carter was seated on, "Princess?"

Receiving another huff, Nolan tried again, this time rubbing at her waist, "Please Princess?"

Carter glanced down at Nolan before pouting, not being able to be angry with him any longer and moved into his waiting arms. "Sorry, Daddy." Carter whispered, laying her head into the crook of his neck. Nolan sighed, kissing the side of Carter's head.

"How about we go get you a pretty ring tomorrow?" Nolan asked, watching as Carter slowly rose her head from his necks and grinned. Nodding her head rapidly, "Please, Daddy."

Sighing in relief, Nolan glanced over his shoulder as he watched Miles turn towards Landon, "Can I get a ring too?"

Landon rolled his eyes, pulling Miles closer into his arms, "Sure, bud."

<< o >>

"Your babysitter has arrived!" Called out a loud voice the next day and Nolan rolled his eyes. Glancing up from his watch.

"You're late, asshat."

The boy blushed, rubbing at his neck, "Sorry."

After going through hundreds of possible babysitters, Nolan finally found the perfect one. He had had two girls come in only to fire them on the spot when he caught them videoing his house instead of watching Carter.

Then he'd hired a boy who he caught a week later selling his shit online. After complaining to Abbie about the problem to get a babysitter and after Porter eavesdropping on the conversation, he had begged Nolan to hire his younger brother who was looking for money to save up for a car.

Nolan agreed, wanting to Porter to leave his house and stop blowing up his phone, begging for him to hire his brother and now they stood.

Nolan glaring down at him while he flushed.

Zach Skoll.

Equally as stupid as Porter yet Nolan hires him. Picking up his things, Nolan sighed, "Just don't do this shit again, I have somewhere to be. I have a list of things you have to do on the table and I'll be back in a few hours."

Turning to glare at the boy again, Nolan narrowed his eyes, "If I come back and one hair on my daughters is missing, I'll fucking kill you."

Zach flushed, nodding his head before following after Nolan when he gestured for him to follow. "This is so exciting, I haven't even meet Carter yet. I hope she likes me—"

"Don't talk so much." Nolan grumbled before pushing open the pink door of Carter's play room and Zach chocked on his spit when Nolan's voice turned soft and his asshole demeanor disappeared.

"Hey, princess. Daddy's going now."

Glancing up from Nolan's iPad, Carter pouted. Jumping up from laying on the carpeted floors of the room, Carter ran over to him and threw her arms around his neck when he'd kneeled down to say goodbye, "Again?"

Nolan smiled, Carter had gotten cranky ever since Nolan had started working again and leaving the house but he made sure to be home for super and to tuck Carter into bed. "Yes, baby but only for a few hours. Zach is going to watch over you."

Glancing over Nolan's shoulder, Carter's eyes widened and she smiled widely. And Zach felt his heart explode with love, no wonder Porter was head over heel in love with this kid.

"You look like Porter!" Carter called out, giggling when Zach smirked, still quite shocked when Nolan sweetly gave Carter a small kiss on the cheek before leading her out of the room and down the hall until he again had all his things collected and gave Carter one last hug before waving goodbye. "Bye, Princess. I'll see you later. I love you to the moon and back."

Carter waved widely, jumping on her toes to wave goodbye, "Bye, Daddy. Love you too!"

Shutting the door, Zach glanced down at Carter and smirked, "Let the fun begin."

<< o >>

"You very bad at this." Carter mumbled after watching Zach struggle to mix up the batter for the cookies she had sweetly requested. Looking at his black shirt that was covered in flour, Carter giggled before pushing the wet cloth towards him.

Zach flushed, staring down at the messed up batter before turning to Carter with a guilty smile, "I'm sorry I couldn't make the cookies, Carter. I followed the recipe."

Carter shrugged, "It's ok! Daddy has cookie in there!" Carter called out, pointing up at the cupboard above Zach's head and he glared playfully down at Carter.

"So I made the batter for nothing!"

Carter giggled, eyes widened when she saw Zach move to chase after her. Trying to climb down the chair Zach had placed her on, Carter gasped when Zach pulled her into his arms. Screaming loudly when he started to tickle her side before bursting into a fit of giggles. "Zachie! Stop!"

"You evil little girl!"

Carter giggled, cheeks flushed when Zach finally placed her back onto her feet.

Carter gasped, looking up at him with a wide smile, pointing towards his face, "I wanna play makeup!"

Carter giggled, dragging Zach towards her play room as he paled.