she's a huge daddy's girl

C H A P T E R 
T W E N T Y - E I G H T

It was a small town, nothing impressive. It wasn't much of a town really, it was a up dried up piece of land that might not exist in a few years. It had no roads and no green grass. The only thing that showed them that people actually lived here was a rusty sign at the entrance of the town and the small houses that could fall down at any moment. Nolan shivered at the thought of Carter growing up here.

Nolan couldn't even make out the name of the town as he glared at the rusty sign. All he knew was that it was at the edge of Texas and none of the people here said 'y'all' or "howdy'.

James had threw a tantrum when Porter had greeted him by saying 'Howdy'.

Carter was currently a sleep in his arms as he looked outside the window of the small rental car he had been able to get at the airport. He had to get two cars, since he had lot of...guests.

William drove the car, James next to him. Nolan sat behind the passenger seat, Carter in his arms. Lucas behind the driver's seat and Miles between them after crying that he wanted to drive with Carter. Nolan rolled his eyes, Maggie was starting over spoil him.

"Hey, little fucker." Nola smirked when Miles immediately rose his head at the nickname and he smiled, feeling slightly guilty that the five-years-old thought his name was little fucker, "Let go of Carter's hand."

Miles pouted, letting go of Carter's small hand, watching as Nolan turned Carter slowly in his arms so that she was resting on his chest rather than his arms. Smiling when Nolan was done, Miles reached out and fisted his hand around Carter's sweatpants. Nolan rolled his eyes at the act, that was all he was going to touch.

Noticing the different potion, Carter turned her face so that it was buried into Nolan's neck and wrapped her small arms around his neck. "Daddy, are we there yet?"

Nolan smiled, laying a soft kiss against Carter's forehead, "We're here, princess."

<< o >>

Rachel took in a deep breath as she ran her hand over her packed clothes. They were starting a new life. A better life was about to start and Rachel couldn't cope with the idea of it being without her daughter.

She'd wanted to deny her granddaughter's father, tell her husband to tell him they wanted to stay in Texas and that they weren't giving up their granddaughter but after being on a phone call with Carter. She knew she couldn't take this opportunity away.

Rachel couldn't even imagine all the possibilities that opened up for Carter. All Jane wanted was for Carter to have everything she didn't have and one of those things was an education.

Education wasn't the best in this part of the world, especially in this town where there was only some school and it took place in the church. And that was mainly because children refused to go to school in these parts of town.

Hearing the roar of a car, Rachel sat up straight. A small smile coming to her lips. She had missed her husband, granddaughter, and son and couldn't wait to see them. Standing up from her bed, she pushed open the door of their room, smiling towards her neighbor whose room was opposite there's.

Rachel rushed past her neighbor's and took the steps quickly, carefully not to trip. Her back was in bad shape.

At the door stood a man she didn't know much, his face was familiar. Rachel was sure she had seen him before but he wasn't anyone to her, until she saw Carter sitting in her arms. Her small hands were rubbing his jaw while her face was buried in his neck. Her eyes peeked out from his neck as she gazed at faces she hadn't seen in a month.

Rachel let out a small gasp when she saw William walk in after the man. He was smiling widely as he gazed up at Rachel. He looked so different. His beard was gone and he'd gotten a haircut, one that made him look so much younger. Rachel almost blushed when he sent her a bad attempt at a wink.

Rachel speed up her walk, her body immediately relaxing when he wrapped his arms around her small frame, "You're home."

William laid a soft kiss against his wife's forehead before turning to James who immediately pulled his mother into a hug when she finally let go of William. "How are you?" James asked, smiling when he saw his mother give him a small smile. He didn't know when last he had seen her smile.

Turning to Nolan, Rachel took a step towards him and smiled awkwardly. Her hands itching to reach out and hold Carter who slowly turned towards her and gasped. "Ma!"

She almost jumped into her arms but held back when she noticed how far the jump was. She was jumping in Nolan's arms until he chuckled and let her down onto her feet. Watching closely as she skipped over to Rachel and wrapped her arms around Rachel's legs. "I missed you!"

Rachel felt her eyes tear up before she bent down and pulled Carter into her arms, "I missed you too, my biscuit."

Carter giggled, her head raising to give Rachel a small kiss before pulling away from her arms. Rachel felt her heart drop as she watched Carter make a beeline for Nolan, tugging on the back of his jeans before raising her arms when he looked down at her. Smiling, Nolan lifted her into his arms and kissed her cheek, "Excited to see your grandma?"

Carter nodded rapidly, sending Rachel a wave before wrapping her arms around Nolan's neck. William chuckled, taking a hold of his wife's hand and pulling her up, "Don't worry, my love. It stings now but you'll get used to it. She's a huge daddy's girl."

James rolled his eyes, "I don't know what she sees in the bastard, he's an asshole."

William slapped James upside the head before turning to his wife, "Besides the constant cursing and angry face, he's the perfect father." Squeezing Rachel's hand, William smiled, "We have nothing to worry about, my love. Nolan always puts Carter first."