73.

"SO WHY did you and Freddie break up?" Bertie asked me as we headed upstairs inside the house. I was surprised that Freddie had informed his younger brother about us. Suddenly, I felt ashamed.

As if he read my mind, Bertie spoke up once again. "I'm not going to judge you, and I'm most certainly not going to tell my Mum." He opened the door for me, letting me walk in first. "So," he mumbled quietly so that no one else could hear. "what happened before you two fell out?"

I sighed. "Your brother proposed to me and I basically said no." I replied. "I felt it was for the best because the day prior to that, Max just died. I didn't want him asking me in order to numb the pain, I wanted him to ask me because he loved me so much. You know what I mean?"

Bertie nodded in understanding. "I completely understand," he said. "Although I should have met you sooner to give you fair warning about my brother. He makes irrational decisions. I wouldn't blame you for rejecting him." He opened the guest room door. He then placed Freddie's suitcase on the bed, and I placed my backpack on the bed as well.

"It's fine," I said, "everyone at Uni told me to steer clear of him. But, I didn't listen."

Bertie nodded. "Well, I'm going to go downstairs to fix up some tea. If you want, you can come along." I nodded and gave him a small smile.

"I think I'll pass for right now. I've been feeling a bit sick and I don't want it spreading on you." I replied. My stomach churned and I groaned.

"Okay, love." He said, "I'll make you some tea that should help with your stomach. If you need anything, just shout. Freddie is in with me Mum and well, you'll know where I'll be."

"Thank you." I said, nodding. Without another word, Bertie left; closing the door behind himself. I fell back against the bed and sighed. I began to worry as to why I became sick. Ever since I went to that party I hadn't stopped cramping or feeling nauseated. I prayed that I wasn't pregnant. After all, the guy said he used a condom, and I was on the pill then too.

Maybe it's just the weather. I told myself as I began to doze off. Yeah, just the weather.

..

"Amelia?" I felt someone shake me lightly. "Amelia? Are you alright?" I slowly open my eyes to be met with Freddie's hazel orbs. He sat at the edge of the bed and I sat up slightly; my stomach growling due to sudden hunger.

"I'm fine," I replied groggily. "I'm just hungry."

Freddie handed me a tea cup and a maple frosted doughnut. With a small smile lingering on my lips, I take it from him and drank the tea. "Damn," I said. "Bertie makes a mean cup of tea."

"That was actually made by me," Freddie remarked. "I made some for my Mum, and Bertie helped serve yours."

I feel a sense of heat rise to my cheeks, blushing at the sudden embarrassment I just endured. "Oops," I replied. "Sorry."

With a careless wave, Freddie looked away. "It's alright." He replied. "Are you still feeling a bit under the weather?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

"Do you know what could be the cause of it?" Freddie asked, now facing me.

I swallowed the last of my doughnut, then gulped as I looked him in the eyes. I don't know why I was so nervous. I mean, we weren't together anymore, so why did it matter if I informed him the possibility as to why I'm getting sick?

I bit my lower lip and licked the frosting off of it.

"I think I might be pregnant."

...