45.

"IS THIS THE place?" Freddie asked as we stood in front of the familiar apartment complex the next morning. I nodded, looking at the dried up brick walls and walking up the series of steps.

Freddie followed afterward, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his jeans.

"So, why are you dragging me to my mother's place?" I asked once we walk inside the apartment building. Freddie says nothing, he continues walking alongside me.

"Reasons." he finally speaks.

"Are you going to tell me those reasons?" I asked, getting irritated with his secretive behavior.

"Nope," he replied with a huff. "Where's her apartment?"

We walk into an elevator and I press the number four from the multiple floor numbers.

"It's on the fourth floor."

"I can see that," he says sarcastically. "I just watched you press a button with the number 4."

He spits some saliva on the ground, and to that, I grimace.

"You're gross."

"It's not like we haven't snogged before," he nudges me. "at one point we did more than just snog."

I rolled my eyes, walking out of the elevator once it stops.

"You're so immature."

Freddie chuckles, wrapping his arm around me as I lead him to the apartment I grew up in.

I knocked, and as I did so, I clutched onto Freddie's hand.

Because I was scared shitless.

..

Minutes pass by and I see the doorknob turning. Once it is opened, I see my mother leaning against the doorframe in her pink robe while inhaling a cigarette.

My grip on my friend's hand became tighter. Freddie didn't seem phased by it; he just continued to look at my mother as did I.

"What do you want?" my mother asks, her Brooklyn accent evident in her voice. She flicks an ash carelessly onto the ground; never acknowledging Freddie's presence.

"We just came by to visit you, Ma."

Freddie nodded in agreement, though he knew my mother couldn't care less. It was as if he wasn't even there.

"Come on in."

We nod, then follow her lead as we walk inside.

As we followed my mother into the living room, Freddie stroked my hand with his thumb; leaning towards my ear as he whispered the words I needed to hear since I first saw my mother.

"Everything is going to be okay." another firm squeeze passes on.

"I'm going to take care of this, I promise."

"But why are we here, Freddie?" I asked, nearly raising my voice.

"Reasons, Amelia." he says in a hushed tone. "You'll know soon enough."

I just hope these reasons were good ones.

...