Reading The Fine Print

'Which one of you lovely ladies wants to bet I can make the shot from here?' Danny grinned infectiously as he wadded his paper basketball tightly together. It was an ambitious proposal, shooting from the doorway of the break-room to the trashcan beside the refrigerator, which was more than halfway across the room.

Olivia and Lindsay shared a hopeless glance. The end of their shift was almost done and the day had been relatively quiet. Still, it had been a long week and they were all thankful for a little down time. Even if it was only Danny and his trashcan hoops. 

'What're the stakes?' Lindsay asked with only mild interest. 

Danny considered it for a moment. 'How about spaghetti and meatballs at Casa de Messer?' he playfully suggested. 

'There's an offer a girl can't refuse,' Olivia said dryly to which she received a pointed look from Danny. 

'You dissin' my cookin' abilities, Duke?' 

'No offense, Messer, while you are indeed a man of many talents - ' 

'Cookin' being one of them,' he interrupted. 'After all, I am Italian.' 

Olivia lifted one eyebrow. 'Please, that automatically makes you an excellent cook?' 

'Naturally. Would you expect anything less?' 

'Tell you what, just to be super safe all round,' Lindsay jumped in, 'how about a beer instead? You miss, you buy.' 

'I'll take that action,' Danny nodded. 'We all in?' 

'Not me,' Olivia shook her head, leaning further back in the chair. 'I have plans.' 

'With who?' asked Danny. 

'Wouldn't you like to know.' 

'Isn't Flack on night shift?' 

Her look was heavy-lidded. 'What makes you so sure my plans involve Flack?' 

Danny shrugged. 'You've been out a couple times the last few weeks. Figured it must be getting serious.' 

'We've been out twice in four weeks,' Olivia corrected him. 'And it isn't serious. Not that it's any of your business, we're just having a good time.' 

'S'cuse me for asking,' Danny said. 'Montana, drum roll, please.'

Lindsay sighed wearily but dutifully banged on the tabletop. Danny lifted the ball of paper, and took aim.

'He carefully aims, look at the steady way he grips the ball, we haven't seen anything like it since Joe - ' 

'Is the commentary necessary?' Olivia said. 'Just take the shot, Messer.' 

Danny lowered his arm. 'Now you put me off.' He gave his shoulders a roll and cracked his neck, and both women groaned. 'Okay, here we go. He takes aim, pulls back his arm, he shoots and - ' 

The paper ball missed the trashcan by about a foot. 

'Misses,' said Flack who had just appeared in the doorway. 'Better luck next time, Danno.' He slapped his friend on the back. 

'Your girlfriend put me off,' Danny said pointing at Olivia. 

'Seems I do that a lot, huh?' she grinned, a gentle reminder of their pool match. 'And you owe Lindsay a beer.' 

'I never welch on a bet,' replied Danny. He turned to Flack. 'Aren't you supposed to be doing nightshift?' 

'Not tonight. Managed to pull a few strings.' Flack smiled at Olivia. 'So I got the whole night.'