Tangled

Nestled in the crook of Flack's arm, his body warm and solid, her head pillowed against his shoulder and her hand resting on his chest; Olivia felt drowsy and sated. Like her bones had been stolen and replaced with molten liquid. With a contented smile lifting one corner of her mouth, she stretched and the brush of her body forced a low moan from Flack's throat.

'Did I tell you how beautiful you are?' he murmured, nuzzling his nose in her hair.

Olivia pressed her face into the curve of his neck, inhaling his warm, musky scent. 'You might've mentioned it,' she murmured back. 'I think it came after you accused me of killing you.'

Flack smiled. The first night they'd spent together. That had been some night. And it had kept on getting better and better. Running his hand up her back he caught her neck, fingers bunching in her soft curls. 'I remember.'

'Thinking of surrendering now?' she asked playfully nipping his shoulder with her teeth.

'Do you see a white flag?'

She laughed and lifted her head to meet his eyes. They shared a smile. It seemed like the days had blended into weeks since that first night. Olivia didn't understand how it could be that she had become so insatiable in her need for him. She had always enjoyed a healthy and active sex life without the added complications of a relationship, but in twelve years she had never given her heart to anyone.

Don't say it, she warned herself.

The thought was there though. Lurking in the dark recesses of her mind.

From that very first night she'd known that Don Flack was dangerous. Which was strange; because normally she steered well clear of the dangerous ones. In her estimation, the good guys were always the dangerous ones. The ones that stole your heart; gently, unselfishly. The genuine, caring, sweet natured, 'put-you-up-on-a-pedestal' type of guy that Olivia's mental radar was well and truly tuned into. Over the years she had perfected that particular craft. Soon as the warning signs came, when she heard those alarm bells - she was gone.

It seemed though that her radar was a little off. Because Flack was that exact type. Not so much in-your-face with the romance and the hearts and flowers like most men were...No, he had made his feelings perfectly clear and yes, he did have his romantic moments - the rose in her locker came to mind - but even though she had made her feelings perfectly clear, here he was. Still here. It didn't matter how many times she'd been tempted to run, he had somehow managed to make her stay.

If ever you feel like running, let me hold you first.

That little statement had affected her more than she cared to admit. But if she'd known he was the type she avoided like the plague, why get involved in the first place? Knowing how easy it would be for him to take what she had carefully guarded over the years, how had it gone so far between them?

He understood there were things about her he may never know, that she may never be able to share; that all the time and energy he was putting into this whatever-it-was between them could all lead to nothing, and yet he wasn't making any attempts to leave. Just like he wasn't piling on the pressure. He just kept giving her more of the same. And because she loved what he was giving, she kept taking.

In truth he didn't know anything about her. He knew nothing of her past. Of the skeletons she kept hidden in her closet, of the deep-rooted pain locked in her heart. He knew nothing about the issues in her life. Apart from one: She didn't fall in love. She had made that clear the first night. And yet, in spite of all that, here they were. Here he was. He wasn't going anywhere. Here she was. Why didn't she want to go anywhere?

As if on cue there they were. Those all-too familiar alarm bells and she asked herself why she wasn't making any attempt to bolt for the door. Maybe he really had stolen her bones and replaced them with molten liquid. Or maybe it was because lying here in this bed, in the warmth and comfort of his arms, she had never felt more safe, more content her entire life. So what did it mean? Was she...