Crossed Wires

Adam was making his way towards Mac's office just as his supervisor, along with Danny, stepped off the elevator. The lab tech held a sheet of thick A4 paper in his hand and when he saw Mac put a little extra into his step so to catch up before he veered off down the intersection.

'Mac!' Adam called out.

'Got something, Adam?' Mac asked turning to look at him.

'The results on the cigarette butt came back. The DNA sample I was able to obtain from the filter was minimal at best, but I got enough to work with.' Adam handed the results to Mac. 'Ran it through CODIS and it came back to a Tony Glanville.'

'Tony Glanville,' Danny repeated with a frown, as he folded his arms over his chest. 'Why's that name seem familiar?'

'Because you brought him in two years ago,' Adam reminded. 'He's serving out his time within the decorated walls of Sing Sing.'

'Yeah, yeah, I remember now. Sexual predator, guy assaulted six women,' Danny nodded. 'Real piece of work as I recall.'

Mac looked up from the results, scraping his teeth over his bottom lip. 'He still has about eight years before he's eligible for an appeal,' he said, tone thoughtful.

'Right. So if Glanville's still in prison then how'd his DNA get on a cigarette in the Sheridan's backyard?' Danny asked.

'Good question,' Mac said. He pulled his cell phone from his jacket to call Flack with this new evidence. He'd ask the Homicide detective to find as much as he could regarding Glanville's incarceration. It might mean a forced trip to Sing Sing depending on what he came back with.

Danny scrubbed a hand over his face. 'So, Adam, how's it coming with the hair we found on the boy's body?'

'Still working on it,' Adam said. 'Along with all the Trace evidence and the video tapes...' He lifted a brow. 'It's going to take a while.'

Danny sighed and nodded. He had a feeling this case was going to run for a long time. Some cases could be wrapped in a matter of days, some took weeks, many took months; and then there was the one that dragged on for years, sometimes never to be resolved. But in his heart of hearts Danny prayed the Sheridan case wouldn't go that far. Little Gracie didn't have that much time left. It would be something of a comfort to know that they would catch the scumbag who did this, not just to get him behind bars where he should be, but justice for Gracie and her family. Olivia was more than determined to find the person responsible, and he was there to back her up on that. Mac had asked him to keep an eye on her while they'd been processing the Sheridan home the night before, after she had broken down the way she had Danny had every intention of doing just that. She wasn't just his partner on this, she was slowly becoming a friend - and as a friend he was concerned. He wondered if it might be worthwhile talking to Flack, maybe he could shed some light on what was going on with her.

Mac finished his call and pushed the phone back inside his jacket. 'Flack and Olivia are on their way back from the hospital. Danny, when Olivia arrives I want the two of you in my office so we can brainstorm. We need to get a jump on this.'

'Sure thing, boss.'

'Adam, keep at it with everything we've got so far. Anything you find, the slightest most insignificant thing, I want to know about it right away. Got it?'

'Absolutely,' Adam said, nodding his head.

With the weight of this new evidence still in his hands, Mac worked his way down the corridor and onto his office.

*

Fifteen minutes later Mac, Danny and Olivia were going over the evidence they had so far. They pored over the crime scene photos of the parents bedroom and the three victims, they went over the adoption papers for Jeremy Sheridan and they discussed the DNA found on the cigarette while waiting for Flack to get back to them about its owner, Tony Glanville.