Some Days Are Better Than Others

Danny tossed the pre-packed vending sandwich onto the table and set the can of Mountain Dew down before pulling out a grey plastic chair and sitting. The TV in the break-room was playing some soap opera and while Danny ate he stared at the screen not taking much interest but watching all the same; until a plastic-looking blond came into the shot wearing nothing except for a red polka-dot bikini and his interest suddenly peaked. The break-room door opened and Lindsay and Olivia came in, their chitchat drowning out the action on screen. From what he could gather somebody had cheated on the hot blond and the hot blond was about to get her own back with the gardener who'd easily make the grade on the cover of GQ magazine.

'Pipe down would ya?' Danny said. 'I wanna see if Barbie gets it on with the gardener.'

Lindsay and Olivia looked at the TV fixed on the wall and then at each other, before pulling out two seats at the opposite side of Danny. 'Sorry to burst your soap bubble, but Barbie - aka Mindy - doesn't get to do Enrique because in about four minutes her husband's gonna show up and pull a gun on our buff gardener,' Lindsay told Danny as she opened up her tuna on rye sandwich.

'What? Don't tell me that! Now you ruined it, Montana,' he complained.

'Take it easy, Messer. She sleeps with the hot pool-guy in the next episode,' Olivia said unscrewing the cap from a bottle of water.

'There's a pool-guy?' Danny said, brightening.

'There's always a pool-guy,' Lindsay said.

'You watch these shows?' asked Danny gesturing to the screen.

Lindsay shrugged. 'Used to. My mom was into "All My Children" and got me hooked for a while. Not much time for soaps now, though. Obviously. This one, "Sunset Beach",' she nodded at the TV, 'used to be one of my favorites back in college.'

'You watched soaps in college?'

'While everyone else was out partying, yeah.'

Danny gave Lindsay a funny look and shook his head. 'What about you, Duke?' he asked.

'I'm no more a soap-junkie than you are, Messer,' came Olivia's reply.

'I don't know you that well, you might be full of all kinds of surprises,' shrugged Danny.

Olivia took a drink and set the bottle down. 'Watching soaps isn't one of them.'

Danny shrugged carelessly and glanced back at the screen where the plastic blonde was fawning over the buff gardener. 'So how'd it go last night?' Danny asked matter-of-factly. 'You and Flack get down an' dirty?'

Olivia slid him a heavy-lidded look, which he didn't get because he was too busy staring at the TV. 'You mean he hasn't told you?'

'Told me nothing.' He took a bite of sandwich and looked at her. 'So, does that mean something did or didn't happen? Help me out here.'

'I'm telling you nothing,' Olivia said, concentrating on her own sandwich.

'Ah, c'mon, Duke, spill.'

'Keep bugging me and spill I will, and not necessarily about what did or didn't happen between Flack and myself,' she told him. 'Catch my drift?'

Danny's eyes narrowed. He caught her drift all right. His humiliating pool defeat. 'I'm surprised you haven't had flyers already printed up.'

Olivia licked her lips and shook her head. 'Haven't had time.'

'We'll pencil it in for later though, right?' Lindsay added with a smile. Both women began to laugh.