Mess Around

Danny was sitting at a work station, bent over a microscope, his glasses pushed up on top of his head when Olivia came inside the lab.

'The suspense is killing me,' she said. 'So it better be good.'

'The chip bag was print heaven,' he declared, pulling his glasses down and adjusting them. 'Couple of decent partials and one greasy, full-fat print.' He grinned again. 'Heh, see what I did there?'

'You're a one-man show,' Olivia deadpanned.

'Compared them to our vic and the grieving widow,' he shook his head, 'No match.'

'So we can place another person at our scene. I knew she was lying,' Olivia said smugly.

'It gets better. I ran the print through AFIS, turns out that our mystery chip eater,' he checked the information he had in front of him, 'is a guy called Mikey McCarthy, twenty-three years old, address in the Bronx - you ready for the punchline? He just served a two-year sentence for fraud and identity theft. Released three weeks ago.'

'So...the question is, what was he doing eating a bag of chips in the house of a successful businessman just 3 days ago? I could kiss you right now, Messer.'

'Well, c'mon down, Duke, give it your best.' He gave her a rakish grin. 'Flack doesn't need to know.'

'Yeah, how about I just shout you a beer instead,' she said with a smile and Danny laughed.

*

After leaving Olivia, Danny made his way to Autopsy to see Sid. He was curious to find out if he was any further forward on finding out what had caused the contusion to Jason Tam's head. Part of him wanted to believe that it had happened on the fall down the stairs, but he wasn't so sure; and now with this new evidence and a possible new suspect, the plot was thickening.

'Danny.'

He turned at the sound of Flack's voice and waited for the Homicide Detective to catch up with him. Length of Flack's legs, it didn't take long.

'Thought you might wanna know,' Flack said drawing nearer, 'Mikey McCarthy? The address he gave on his release isn't where he's at. Sent a few of my boys down there to scoop him up, turns out the house is being let by a Korean family.'

Danny rubbed a hand over his jaw. 'So what does this mean? Guy's left the area, the state, what?'

'It means we're looking for him. We put out an APB, so any sightings you can be sure we'll find him. I already have his probation officer on the case.'

'Now I gotta deliver the news to my partner,' Danny said shaking his head. 'You wanna call it? She might take it better from you.'

'We got way better things to do than talk about work, trust me. You going this way?' he said pointing down the corridor. Danny nodded and the two men moved off.

'She's convinced our mysterious Dorito guy is a big part of this case,' explained Danny as they walked. 'I was kind of leaning toward him myself.'

'She still not buying suicide?'

'Nope,' Danny shook his head. 'Not voluntary anyway. Could be assisted. Gotta tell you, I'm beginning to agree with her.'

'You're agreeing with each other now?' Flack said amused. 'Never saw that comin'.'

'Ah, she's ai'ight. So she's gotta attitude problem,' Danny shrugged, 'that's fine. She gives the job everything and she's damn good at it. We're not so different.'

'Does it hurt your back kissin' your own ass like that?'

Danny snickered. 'While I'm the first to admit that I enjoy nothing more than windin' the woman up - '

CSI:New York : Who Are You? (Don Flack/OFC fanfic)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara