Unquiet Spirit

It was almost eight pm and Olivia's shift was over. It had been another long day where in spite of new evidence, she and Danny still hadn't made much headway with their case. They needed Mac's clearance before they could go ahead with their reconstruction and by the time he returned to the lab there had only been twenty minutes of their shift left. They would head out to the Tam residence to conduct their reconstruction the next day; both agreeing that a new day, plenty of daylight and not-so-tired heads would work better in their favor. In the meantime Olivia had drawn up a list of essentials, which included a forensics dummy and a few sets of hand-held weights, which would enable them to create Jason Tam's correct body mass; while Danny had set to work on a floor-plan of the Tam's master bedroom and stairwell.

Now Olivia was in the locker-room. She had just retrieved her personal stuff from her locker and enjoyed a long, luxurious stretch when the door creaked open and Lindsay came in.

'I am so glad today's over,' she sighed spinning the combination on her locker.

'Second that,' Olivia agreed. 'I just want to go home, have a soak in the bath and relax.'

'So we won't be seeing you at the Blind Tiger?'

'Think I'll give it a miss tonight, Linds. Gotta big reconstruction set for tomorrow. I'll need my wits about me.'

'Danny mentioned it,' Lindsay said as she took her purse from her locker and shut the door. 'Looks like it's just me and Hawkes then.'

'Don't sound too disappointed,' Olivia said, her tone teasing.

Lindsay eyed her. 'What does that mean?'

'Nothing,' shrugged Olivia, smiling a little as she headed for the door.

'You were implying something,' Lindsay said, following her out.

'You're a little sore that he isn't going to be there.'

'No,' Lindsay answered quickly, maybe a little too quickly. But it didn't matter, because her astute partner had already picked up on it.

Olivia chuckled. 'There'll be other nights for you to work those womanly charms.'

'I keep telling you I don't have womanly charms,' Lindsay said a little disgruntled at that. 'If I did then he would be coming, right?'

'Maybe you didn't use the right words. Or smile enough.'

Lindsay rolled her eyes. 'Please. I can't do this. I'm no good at the whole flirting thing.'

'Are you forgetting Sullivan's?'

'Clearly he has. Because there's no sign of him making any moves.'

Olivia's sigh was whimsical. She slung one arm around Lindsay's shoulders. 'Ah, Detective Monroe, and there was I thinking you were an independent go-getting woman of the 21st century.'

'Not when it comes to men.'

'I see. So you like to be romanced the old-fashioned way?'

'Something like that. I like a man to woo me.'

Olivia slid her a look that she totally didn't get. 'Woo? Does anyone even use that anymore? Except you, that is?'

'Cute. I can't help the way I am. And I guess Danny can't help the way he is. Maybe that's the problem. We're completely different. Too different.'

'I dunno about that,' Olivia said as they rounded the corner and headed for the elevator. 'I reckon Messer has a few 'wooing' qualities hidden below the surface of that player exterior.'